Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Min I USB C Hub

Looking to add USB females to my Mac mini. These will mai only be used for charging purposes. not data transfer. Do I need a powered Hub or will a regular Hub work fine? Thank You

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 10:28 AM

I believe that USB 2 and USB 3 allow for 2.5 watts (500 mA, 5 V) and 4.5 watts (900 mA, 5 V), respectively. I do not know if the Mac mini is willing to offer power via USB-C Power Delivery (and if so, how much).

If you're talking about charging multiple USB-A devices at once, it might be easy to attach enough that unpowered hubs would not have enough power to go around.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 10:28 AM in response to cbinmesa

I believe that USB 2 and USB 3 allow for 2.5 watts (500 mA, 5 V) and 4.5 watts (900 mA, 5 V), respectively. I do not know if the Mac mini is willing to offer power via USB-C Power Delivery (and if so, how much).

If you're talking about charging multiple USB-A devices at once, it might be easy to attach enough that unpowered hubs would not have enough power to go around.

Oct 26, 2023 11:16 AM in response to cbinmesa

I just purchased a StarTech 5-port USB-C hub for my M2 Mac mini Pro. This is a bus-powered hub with charging capability through its ports, but the fifth port can also take power from up to a 100 W source and distribute 85 W to each of the other four ports. That linked vendor was considerably less expensive with faster ship and delivery times than ordering directly from StarTech or other suppliers.

Mac Min I USB C Hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.