Why won’t the reset password option pop up

I forgot password to MacBook. I am at the login screen and entered about a dozen wrong passwords but the forgot password option will not pop up

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 5:46 PM

If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support describes what to do. If necessary, proceed with If you can't reset your Mac login password.

Follow all those steps all the way through to their conclusion.

Most of the initial steps begin with "If you see this option... " or "If you are asked for... <something>" because different password reset options have been introduced over the years. From what you describe, at least some of them are not applicable to your Mac or your User Account, or you already determined they aren't getting you anywhere.

Proceed with the steps in that second Apple Support document — the ones that begin with "Start up from macOS Recovery" — and let me know how far you get. Most of them also begin with "If..." for the same reasons.

If you ultimately arrive at the last and final steps they describe erasing the Mac, followed by restoring its content from a Time Machine backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 5:46 PM in response to cassidy54

If you forgot your Mac login password - Apple Support describes what to do. If necessary, proceed with If you can't reset your Mac login password.

Follow all those steps all the way through to their conclusion.

Most of the initial steps begin with "If you see this option... " or "If you are asked for... <something>" because different password reset options have been introduced over the years. From what you describe, at least some of them are not applicable to your Mac or your User Account, or you already determined they aren't getting you anywhere.

Proceed with the steps in that second Apple Support document — the ones that begin with "Start up from macOS Recovery" — and let me know how far you get. Most of them also begin with "If..." for the same reasons.

If you ultimately arrive at the last and final steps they describe erasing the Mac, followed by restoring its content from a Time Machine backup.

Why won’t the reset password option pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.