Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) ethernet speed

Okay this might be a silly question but bear with me 

I have a 1000 Mbps coming in to the house (speed tested on Mac with Ethernet)

And a Apple TV 1st gen 4K A1842

According to Apple it’s got Gigabit Ethernet

Identify your Apple TV model – Apple Support (UK)

But I’m getting the following speeds :

WiFi 208 mbps

Ethernet 94 mbps

With I don’t understand as the product page clearly states it has Gigabit Ethernet 

Can someone explain this to me please?

Ps: Do I need to upgrade to an Apple TV 4K (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Ethernet for better speeds on Ethernet?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 2:34 AM

It seems that you have a 100 Mbps component in your home network setup, in between the Apple TV box and the modem. A cable, splitter, hub, switch, extender, or something like that, that limits the throughput. It is about the lowest rated part in the whole setup.

High bitrate streams are about 25 Mbps, so 94 doesn’t diminish the capabilities of the box in any meaningful way.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 2:34 AM in response to seaburngames

It seems that you have a 100 Mbps component in your home network setup, in between the Apple TV box and the modem. A cable, splitter, hub, switch, extender, or something like that, that limits the throughput. It is about the lowest rated part in the whole setup.

High bitrate streams are about 25 Mbps, so 94 doesn’t diminish the capabilities of the box in any meaningful way.

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) ethernet speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.