Changing Store AppleID login, Family Sharing, & app updates mess 🤪

Before Family Plans were a thing, my child had my old iPhone and I had downloaded apps for them under my AppleID to it. Fast forward to the future where I have an Apple family plan that shares my purchases with my child who is older now and has their own Apple ID.

They have signed into the App Store and can download without issues. For apps installed under my Apple ID back in the day, they still need my password to update them.

All previously downloaded apps won't update without my Apple password since they were originally installed with my Apple ID when they were younger & Family Plans weren't available.

Is there any way to fix this issue without deleting the apps, losing all the data associated with them, and reinstalling them? There's a lot of history in some of those games and apps that will be lost with a deletion.

Note, I have my other kids in this situation as well. I'm trying to get ahead of it for them.

Thanks!

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 11:08 AM

Hey TheShadraq,

Thank you for reaching out and posting in Apple Support Communities.

When your child was younger, you let them use an old device with your Apple ID. Now that they are older, have their own Apple ID, when it's time to update the app, they are still prompted for your Apple ID and password. And they want to be able to keep their history, but use their own Apple ID.

If you take a look at Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support, it goes over what's associated with an Apple ID and can't be transferred. Apps fall under this category. The only way to associate the game with the new Apple ID would be to delete the app and download it using the new Apple ID. And you are correct, the history from the app would be gone.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 11:08 AM in response to TheShadraq

Hey TheShadraq,

Thank you for reaching out and posting in Apple Support Communities.

When your child was younger, you let them use an old device with your Apple ID. Now that they are older, have their own Apple ID, when it's time to update the app, they are still prompted for your Apple ID and password. And they want to be able to keep their history, but use their own Apple ID.

If you take a look at Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support, it goes over what's associated with an Apple ID and can't be transferred. Apps fall under this category. The only way to associate the game with the new Apple ID would be to delete the app and download it using the new Apple ID. And you are correct, the history from the app would be gone.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Take care!

Changing Store AppleID login, Family Sharing, & app updates mess 🤪

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.