Installing a utilities folder on a G3 iMac that’s not online

I have an original 1998 Bondi Blue iMac 233mHz. It is not used online and I haven’t used it since 2006. After inserting a battery, switched it on and it is working again. But, the display geometry is somewhat lopsided and needs to be adjusted. I found a utility at Macgarden.org site that can be used to adjust the geometry. It’s been so long since I’ve done this, so pardon me for asking how, but can I simply download this to my Mac Mini that is online, followed by copying this utilities folder to a thumb drive, followed by inserting the thumb drive into the USB port on the old iMac and dragging the folder onto the desktop and then installing it? Or, is this incorrect and a different method preferable?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 6:48 PM

Similar questions

26 replies

Oct 27, 2023 4:36 PM in response to djorud

Hi,

Please note that the last supported system for an original 233 MHz iMac G3 was Mac OS X 10.3(.9) Panther.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac_ab.html

While there are ways of installing Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger on some iMac G3 machines, I do not believe that it is practical (even if it were possible) for this very model. Also, please note that a special firmware procedure is required before upgrading to any Mac OS X version.

A lot of information about the iMac G3 models can be found via Search - Apple Community (search filtered by author Jeff).

Oct 28, 2023 2:25 PM in response to djorud

Update one day later: Making good progress. I had updated the OS from 8.6 to 9.2.1 yesterday. There were some issues in so doing due to Open Transport not being present in the old system. Not sure why, but it wasn’t there. That triggered a couple of warnings of a couple of extensions not being installed. OS 9.2.1 finished installing anyway, so went ahead with loading the software for the Harmoni accelerator, and then the actual hardware installation.

Upon restart with the accelerator onboard, everything boots just fine and the accelerator seems to be doing what it is supposed to. Only thing is, I am getting a boxed reminder that “problems were encountered in loading the Sonnett Harmoni software, and to contact tech support if more problems arise”. Not sure what the problems were, but maybe related to the missing Open Transport issue and the extensions that didn’t load because of it. Regardless, I’m not finding any glitches related to it yet. But, if the boxed reminder could somehow be prevented from making it’s appearance on every startup, I wouldn’t mind.

I ran Norton benchmark tests on it to see how much the new accelerator had improved performance. I have attached some photos to this post to show the improvement afterward. It is definitely noticeable.

Another outcome of upgrading to 9.2.2 was the new ability to alter the display geometry! Going back to my original post on this thread, I was looking for help on how to adjust a lopsided display. OS 9.2.2 had that capability within display preferences. Took under a minute to make the adjustments.

All that remains is the prospect of adding OSX 10.4 Tiger to the “Classic environment” of OS 9. Before going ahead with it, now that the accelerator is up and working I am not sure if I should be following a course for the original 233 processor, or more likely for the new 600mHz upgrade. The RAM on the accelerator has been increased to 512 mb. The current original HD is small, at 4 GB, so should be upgrading it as much as possible, especially since this machine will be used primarily with a film scanner. Here again, I don’t know if the addition of the accelerator affects the size of an upgraded hard drive in any way. Need to learn more before doing anything.

Oct 26, 2023 7:15 PM in response to djorud

As I recall that Mac had a built-in utility to adjust monitor geometry. If it did, it would have been in the Display Control Panel. But this is going way, way back. It may have been a separate utility, in which case the one you found may be the one I'm thinking of.

I cannot get a Macgarden.org site to load, but that utility will obviously need to be for the PPC and it needs to be in a file format the new Mac can download and the old Mac can read. If those requirements are met then yes, what you propose is the way to go about it.

The format of the USB flash memory will be a factor as well. I recommend formatting it on the Bondi Blue iMac because the Disk Utility version incorporated in newer Macs may not be able to create that format. Hopefully, it will be able to read the older one's required format though.

Before you do anything drastic power down the G3 iMac, wait a moment or two, power it up again. The reason is that CRT iMacs degauss the display only upon power up. A few degaussing cycles may be all it needs.

Oct 26, 2023 8:16 PM in response to John Galt

John, thanks for replying to my question. I will definitely try your suggestion to cycle it on/off a few cycles. That may well be enough to restore the geometry to normal, which it always was before it was put into storage more than 15 years ago.

The utility I found was at macintoshgarden.org. The URL is https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/apple-service-manuals.

There is nothing in Disk Utilities that provides any way to adjust the geometry of the display, so this may be the way I have to address the issue if cycling on/off doesn’t help.

Oct 26, 2023 8:28 PM in response to djorud

It's not in Disk Utility. Display Service Utility perhaps? That must be it. Is what you downloaded a Stuffit archive (.sit)? If so I'll have to find out how to expand it. But I'd rather not have to 😆

Stuffit Expander was what I used on early Macs. Unfortunately it took a turn for the worse after Raymond Lau sold it. That was years before the iMac.

Its present incarnation is a shadow of its former self and is not even worth mentioning.

Oct 27, 2023 6:55 AM in response to John Galt

The utilities are found inside of a .DMG image file under “Apple troubleshooting utils”>”Apple’s MacTest Pro”>”MacTest Pro (G3 28May02.dmg”.

I haven’t downloaded it yet, but plan to do so today after upgrading the iMac to OS 9.1.2, which I need in place to do the other upgrade, which is adding a Sonnett Harmoni G3 600mHz accelerator card to it. After that…..well, might think about adding OSX 10.4 Tiger, which I don’t yet have on CD. The reason I’m upgrading this old iMac is to pair it with another old beast, a Leafscan 45 film scanner that’s also been sitting here for the past 20 or more years unused. Looks new yet and has a complete set of film holders for everything from 8X11 mm up to 4” X 5” formats. Too many antique toys here to play with, but they’re just that, toys, so might as well have some fun with them. Have thousands of old negatives in boxes here, too, so can keep occupied for a long time, or until the novelty wears off.

Oct 27, 2023 7:15 AM in response to John Galt

Well, not sure what my next move will be, other than to first hope that your initial suggestion of repeated power on/off cycling to see if that helps. The other possibility, which I haven’t yet looked into, is to see if any mechanical means for adjusting the CRT geometry exists on the neck of it. IIRC, early Macs had some adjustment rings there.

Oct 27, 2023 9:54 AM in response to John Galt

Yes, care definitely required so as not to be accidentally zapped. Will pursue software solutions before resorting to the adjustment rings as a last resort. Did upgrade the OS to 9.2.1 this morning, but didn’t have Open Transport on the old OS 8.6, so need to locate a copy of that to complete some installation of file sharing. Otherwise, that part went fine and allowed the installation software for the Harmoni accelerator just fine. Will be interesting to see if the accelerator is still functional, as it’s been dormant for a very long time as well. Will know more by later today on that. The geometry issue isn’t huge, so am content in waiting awhile before pursuing it beyond the download and installation of the software files.

Oct 27, 2023 2:28 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed to adjust the geometry. Just curious, but on your G3 iMac did you need to partition the HD when upgrading to OSX 10.4, assuming you kept OS 9 to run in the classic environment? I have heard it isn’t necessary to do so providing the iMac has the earlier tray loading CD drive, but is necessary for the later slot loading CD drive.

Oct 27, 2023 3:07 PM in response to djorud

Mine is the iMav DV+ (Summer 2000) with a slot-loading DVD.

I just looked again and the internal drive has a single partition being used for OS X, which is the boot OS.

If the upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4 required some drive partitioning I don't recall. I can only assume the Tiger installer did whatever it had to, which probably did not include that process.

Yes, I do also have OS 9 running in the classic environment. I'm not sure the process for installing the OS 9 components, it's been so long ago... but I seem to recall that OS 9 and the Classic environ were optional at the time of the Tiger install and I had to also use the OS 9 installer that shipped with the computer. I also have an OS 9 update on CD that brought that version to 9.2.2, I believe.

Oct 27, 2023 3:37 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks much for adding that clarifying information. I recall reading somewhere that slot loading drives required a separate HD partition for OSX when used with OS 9. But, I also seem to recall that the older tray loading CD players did not require HD partitioning, but I need to double check on that. With my iMac being an original 233 mHz bondi-blue model, but have a 600mHz Sonnett Harmoni accelerator for it which has a firewire port. Once I get that up and running, I can run an external DVD drive thru it and then load OSX 10.4 on DVD rather than searching for the uncommon CD version. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works once installed, as 25 year old equipment isn’t necessarily going to be reliable after sitting unused for a good share of that time.

Installing a utilities folder on a G3 iMac that’s not online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.