Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone wireless car charging stopped after iOS 17.1 update

After my iPhone 15 Pro upgraded to 17.1 yesterday, my phone now charges for 10 seconds than stops charging in my wireless car charger. Had no issues prior to the 17.1 update with the phone in the car. Have tested two home wireless charging pads and they work properly and don’t stop charging.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 1:47 PM

Hopefully everyone is reporting the issue to Apple via feedback. The new update clearly was intended to address the issue since it made absolutely no mention of anything other than being for security updates. No one officially knows when it will be addressed but just like the BMW situation it did not happen instantly and those users had to wait for a fix. This will be the same scenario for others experiencing it now. It is imperative that you report via feedback and not rely on chiming in on a post on here.

88 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 1:47 PM in response to ctw

Hopefully everyone is reporting the issue to Apple via feedback. The new update clearly was intended to address the issue since it made absolutely no mention of anything other than being for security updates. No one officially knows when it will be addressed but just like the BMW situation it did not happen instantly and those users had to wait for a fix. This will be the same scenario for others experiencing it now. It is imperative that you report via feedback and not rely on chiming in on a post on here.

Nov 1, 2023 3:31 PM in response to ctw

I downloaded IOS 17-1 on my phone first (iPhone 15 PRO) my phone will no longer charge on my 2023 chevy blazer. It lights up green for 10 seconds then changes to amber and quits charging. My wife has an iPhone 15. I tried her phone in the vehicle and it charged fine. I then downloaded IOS 17-1 on her phone. It did the same green light for 10 seconds then amber and quit charging. My phone was able to connect to CarPlay before and after the update.

On another issue I connected my phone to my IMAC and it would not charge without a short download on my mac. My mac acted crazy and i could not type anything until I rebooted it and it appears to work ok now.

Nov 7, 2023 5:30 PM in response to DavidRo

I just spent an hour on the phone with two Apple supervisors. I was disconnected from the first. He tried but did not have answers. I have a 23 Chevy Blazer. Iphone 15 and iphone 15 pro. Neither will charge wirelessly in the vehicle after 17.1, 17.1.1 did not help. I have read about BMW’s with the same issue. Apple supervisor suggested that GM probably will have to update the vehicle. “The vicious circle begins”

Dec 16, 2023 5:56 AM in response to ctw

Hi all, I can see here that the latest iOS 17.2 has fixed many people's car wireless charging issues. However, I am UK based, drive a 2021 Nissan Qashqai and still after latest update cannot charge wireless in the car with my iPhone 15. Phone works absolutely fine on home wireless pad (Belkin). Before, I had an iPhone 13 and this charged wirelessly in car, no issues. Tested other devices (with older versions of iOS software and a different phone brand) in the car and they all charge. I have reported to Apple support, and also logged with Nissan and each saying to contact each other about it, and I am getting nowhere. Thought I would add a comment here as well, to say NOT fixed in ALL cars.

Dec 27, 2023 4:46 AM in response to ctw

The Buick dealer worked on this issue for 3 hours… Everything checked out ok on the vehicle… Issue seems isolated to iPhone 15’s with ios17 or higher… Apple Support is ZERO help… Spent a lot of cash on a crap Apple product with zero support… Upgraded to iOS17.3 over a week ago and same issue and nothing new from Apple…

Oct 26, 2023 9:14 PM in response to ctw

ctw Said:

"iphone wireless charging stopped after 17.1 update: After my iPhone 15 Pro upgraded to 17.1 yesterday, my phone now charges for 10 seconds then stops charging in my wireless car charger. Had no issues prior to the 17.1 update with the phone in the car. Have tested two home wireless charging pads and they work properly and don’t stop charging."

-------

Report this to Apple...

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of this, if you don't report it to them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all began after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 15, 2023 5:33 PM in response to goldcoater

I hope Apple is working on this issue because I’m just about ready to turn in my iPhone 15 Pro Max for an iPhone 14 Pro Max which I had. This is ridiculous that they fix an issue with BMW and break GM’s wireless charging. This is going to hurt their pocket. I’m on the upgrade program and get a new one every year. I’m looking to buy another vehicle and it’s a convenience to just get in your car and even if your using CarPlay, you don’t get much of a charge but it keeps it from draining by just laying it in your vehicle.

Nov 17, 2023 11:41 AM in response to BHKuch

So it’s also affecting portable chargers. Apple better fix this and acknowledge that iOS 17.1.1 fixed BMW IN-vehicle chargers and broke GM-in vehicle chargers. It’s frustrating because they haven’t even acknowledged it yet. It’s all iPhone 15’s and 15 Pro and Pro Max and this is a first for an iPhone 12 Pro. My iPhone 14 Pro Max charged in my 2024 truck’s wireless charger and so did my new iPhone 15 Pro Max until iOS 17.1.1 came out.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 20, 2023 1:29 PM in response to zsoltketesdi

I’d have the dealer look into TSB 22-NA-235. The link is https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/22-NA-235

the tests that the dealers run just show that the charger is outputting properly. This TSB implies the charger module may be overly sensitive and turnoff with iPhones and certain android devices. This TSB directs the dealer to reprogram so that the auto shutoff set point is higher.

I had to go to multiple dealerships before I found one that knew how to execute this fix.

Feb 25, 2024 2:20 PM in response to ctw

Rotating my iPhone 180 degrees fixed this reported issue for me. (Face ID is at the bottom and charging port at the top while placed in the charging pad). Saw this suggestion on GMC’s website. Worth try to see if it works for you.

I have a 2023 Chevrolet Traverse LS with stock charging pad, and an iPhone 13 Pro Max with clear TORRAS case with compatible MagSafe built-in kickstand. I’m on iOS 17.3.1.

Oct 26, 2023 9:12 PM in response to ctw

Hmm, that is weird, sounds like some type of conflict there with the car adapter and the OS update. What is the make and model of the wireless car charger? I’d advise checking their website and support area or phone number for support. If they don’t have a fix or solution you may need to either charge at home/work/school, or downgrade the phone OS, or buy a different car charger as a work around… not great choices as they cost more money. See if you can pressure the manufacturer for a fix ASAP. Good luck and keep us posted! Cheers!

Nov 7, 2023 4:18 PM in response to ctw

I am having same issue with iPhone 15 and using wireless charging in Chevrolet Bolt EUV (2023). I "think" it worked when I first got the iPhone with iOS 17, but now it is on iOS 17.1 and it shows charging for a few seconds on the CarPlay screen, then stops. Updated today to iOS 17.1.1 but no change. My wife's iPhone 13 Pro charges just fine, though it is still on iOS 16.x. I have submitted bug report as well.

Nov 8, 2023 5:21 PM in response to ctw

Started suddenly experiencing this last week after not having an issue since I received it back on September 22nd in my 2022 Buick Enclave. Other iPhones that have not been updated to iOS 17.1 no issues as well as Android devices. Also checked another 2022 Buick Enclave in our household. Same issue. I did report it to Apple of course and hoped that 17.1.1 would address it but it doesn’t. Like some else mentioned, it briefly starts to charge but after approximately 10 seconds it stops. Checked for any new updates for my vehicle just in case but nothing so far. Eliminated any possibility that the charging pad in the vehicle was defective. Thankfully it’s only a minor inconvenience at this point since I rarely need to actually charge in the car but if I do it charges fine plugging in the cable in the car and it’s not affecting wireless CarPlay. Hopefully it will be addressed in a future iOS update or if the car needs an update GM/Buick releases an OTA one soon. Not sure where the problem is but since it was working fine even initially after updating to 17.1 I assume it’s in some way related to software on someone’s end. Oh…also need to point out that I don’t have any issues with wireless charging in the house so it’s solely isolated to in my car. Haven’t had a chance to check it on the OEM charging pad in a none GM car yet but will try to do that soon just to see.

iPhone wireless car charging stopped after iOS 17.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.