Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

USB C Headphone lead on iPhone 15 SOLVED (sort of)

More problems with the way Apple have designed the USB C port.

I bought the official Apple USB C headphone lead but it didn't work. I plugged in my Bang & Olufsen wired headphones and the music continued to come out of the iPhone 15 Pro speakers.

I found many postings about failed car connection with Apple Car Play that were solved by playing one song through Apple Music.

So this evening I connected the official Apple USB C - Headphone Lead to an old Apple Ear Phone lead from an elderly iPod. Then Connected the USB C end to the iPhone 15 Pro. The phone asked if I was trying to connect a headphone so I pressed yes. Then I opened Apple Music and played a song and it came through the earpiece!

What on earth is going on?

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 7:30 AM

I just bought the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I wanted to use my EarPods that I used with my old iPhone 12 so I bought a lighting to usb-c adapter. Seemed like the cheapest solution but alas, no sound come out the EarPods, just the phone speakers. The fact that Apple was so stubborn about having a proprietary connector for so long then to finally switch to usb-c and not making sure it worked properly is extremely frustrating. I had to buy all new charging cables for my car, home, and office. I really don’t understand the rationale for the change. I stick with Apple because for the most part they get it right or fix issues right away. Come on Apple!

Similar questions

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2023 7:30 AM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

I just bought the iPhone 15 Pro Max. I wanted to use my EarPods that I used with my old iPhone 12 so I bought a lighting to usb-c adapter. Seemed like the cheapest solution but alas, no sound come out the EarPods, just the phone speakers. The fact that Apple was so stubborn about having a proprietary connector for so long then to finally switch to usb-c and not making sure it worked properly is extremely frustrating. I had to buy all new charging cables for my car, home, and office. I really don’t understand the rationale for the change. I stick with Apple because for the most part they get it right or fix issues right away. Come on Apple!

Dec 25, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

I too purchased the Apple 3.5 headphone adapter cable to use with a set of headphones I use with my IPhone 15. Used the same headphones on my IPhone 13 with a 3.5 adapter to lightning connector without any problems. I have just started to experience the issue where I try to play music through the headphones and the songs won’t start. I takes a hard reset to make it work. If I stop playing music for a period of time ( not sure how long) I have to reset again to play my music. Sooo frustrating especially when traveling. What will it take to get a resolution from Apple?

Oct 31, 2023 1:53 PM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

I’m having the same issue trying to figure out why my Meze 99’s won’t work with the usb-c to headphone adapter, but my old Apple wired earbuds work flawlessly every time.

I got the Meze 99’s to work only once by taking your suggestion and playing a song in the native Apple Music app. I unplugged the 99’s and haven’t been able to get sound out of them again, even by restarting the phone.

So weird and frustrating.

Nov 1, 2023 3:53 AM in response to kalanigee

I just don't understand why this problem is not receiving more attention.

We have many people affected by the car system of Apple CarPlay and others like you who can't connect headphones. It must be a poor implementation of the USB C.

I've now found that a high quality USB C data cable can't connect the iPhone 15 Pro to the USB C port of my HP Envy AIO desktop. The computer thinks nothing is there and the iPhone does not register the computer. Totally dead. But I can use a Belkin HDMI lead to mirror the iPhone on the HP Screen.

And if I use iTunes there is still no recognition of the iPhone 15 through the USB C. The HP connection is a Thunderbolt USB C. But a cheap Lightning Female to Male USB C connector will allow an iTunes connection through the Lightning lead we use for all other household iPhones.

Jan 10, 2024 2:23 AM in response to kalanigee

Doesn't fit my analysis. The Apple ear piece I got to work does contain a Mic layer. I got this to work by playing one song on Apple Music.

The Bang Olufsen Head Phone is only configured with the two stereo bands.

Maybe between your tries you played the magic 'one track' that seems to kick it into life?

Where are Apple in this discussion?

Feb 22, 2024 12:43 PM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

Same here v v frustrating. £1000 phone I've just bought a TRS to TRRS audio cable to see if that would work, but what a terrible solution for Apple. Steve J would never have allowed this to happen.

IMO Apple are loosing some of their considered and careful approach to Product development and launch to market. Sloppy.

Lets see if 3 cables fix the problem

May 24, 2024 8:47 AM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

I had the same problem with a 3rd party adapter, audio would not be directed to headphones. Returned 3rd party adapter and bought official Apple adapter thinking this would solve my problem. When I used the Apple adapter same issue, no awareness on my 15 Pro that there were headphones connected and only audio on the phone (using Apple music). Tried leaving everything attached via usb c to headphone jack and restarted the 15 Pro. Upon restarting I got the message asking if there were headphones attached. I said yes and now I get audio on the headphones. I guess the 15 Pro needed a restart to "see" the headphones. This might be a solution for some.

Nov 7, 2023 4:05 AM in response to Old Engineer Surrey

It's getting worse

My 'cheap' Lightning Female to Male USB C connector is the only way I can connect to iTunes. But...

It's affecting my Microsoft Outlook application on my Windows desktop!!!

I've been struggling with emails stuck in my Outlook outbox. No amount of reboots or app closures would unstick it. Until I disconnected the iPhone. The stuck items cleared and all was restored.

As a check I rebooted the desktop. Opened Outlook and completed a 'Send & Receive' with success.

Then connected the iPhone and composed a message. It stuck again.

Unplugged the iPhone and the stuck message cleared.

USB C Headphone lead on iPhone 15 SOLVED (sort of)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.