Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine is not working

I just got a new imac intel core i7 which is an upgrade from my power mac G4 MDD which I got in 2003. I transferred all the information from the power G4 using time machine and it worked fine. I then upgraded the OS to 10.6.4 given imac is intel core. All programs are working fine except I am unable to use time machine. It runs for a few gb and then the following error come on time machine buddy:

Starting standard backup
Backing up to: /Volumes/Backups/Backups.backupdb
Ownership is disabled on the backup destination volume. Enabling.
Backup content size: 237.9 GB excluded items size: 818.0 MB for volume Macintosh HD
No pre-backup thinning needed: 284.58 GB requested (including padding), 930.57 GB available
Waiting for index to be ready (101)
Indexing a file failed. Returned 1 for: /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/wx-2 .8-mac-unicode/wx/lib/floatcanvas/Utilities/ _init_.py, /Volumes/Backups/Backups.backupdb/van (5)/2010-08-17-184416.inProgress/75B311E0-7C50-4BD3-B7AD-03E3A1B883B2/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/wx -2.8-mac-unicode/wx/lib/floatcanvas/Utilities/ _init_.py
Aborting backup because indexing of file failed.
Stopping backup.
Copied 70375 files (17.4 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11

Then when I try to verify and repair the disk, it does do it and keep on showing: " invalid node structure, invalid key length and invalid record count"

I have changed the external hard drive twice so I doubt that is the problem. Please help

G4

Posted on Aug 21, 2010 4:46 PM

21 replies

Aug 21, 2010 5:17 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
. . .
Then when I try to verify and repair the disk, it does do it and keep on showing: " invalid node structure, invalid key length and invalid record count"

Which disk is that, your internal or your Time Machine drive?

If it's your internal, you can only repair it via your Install disc. See the yellow box in #A5 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

If it's your external TM drive, and repeated use of +*Repair Disk+* won't fix it, either erase it and start fresh, or see the pink box in #A5.

Aug 21, 2010 6:54 PM in response to Pondini

It is the external harddrive. I erase it everytime it fails. I have followed the troubleshooting link to the letter. I even exclude the files that the time machine buddy states have "index failed"

Could the problem be that I used time machine from my power mac G4 to get my files transferred to my new imac? I did upgrade it to snow leopard afterwards

Aug 21, 2010 7:03 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
It is the external harddrive. I erase it everytime it fails.

Then the drive is likely failing 😟

It's possible there's a bad cable or connection. Eject and power it off for several minutes, then Restart your Mac. Try different port(s) and cable(s), and combinations (a plug that works fine in one port may not make good contact in another).

If that doesn't help, it might be worth the time to erase it yet again, but select +Security Options+ and then +Zero Out Disk.+ That will take quite a while. If that fails, you need a new drive. If it succeeds, the drive might be ok.

What kind and how old is it?

Could the problem be that I used time machine from my power mac G4 to get my files transferred to my new imac? I did upgrade it to snow leopard afterwards

No. If the file system is getting corrupted, it might be some sort of software problem (which would almost certainly affect your internal HD, too), but far more likely to be hardware.

Just to be sure, do a +*verify disk+* (not permissions) on your internal HD, too.

Aug 21, 2010 8:00 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
Thank you for your thoughtful answer. It is a brand new toshiba 1tb external HD. I have already changed it once.

Do you mean it's been replaced? Even new drives fail sometimes. 😟

As I said above it says on timemachine buddy that index failed and then lists a file. I copied the statement on my rev post.

And you also said:
Even when I exclude the below file in options in time machine, it still states that it cannot copy files.

Does it show the exact same file? If so, the exclusion isn't working. Try a "full reset" of Time Machine, per #A4 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

If it's a different file, something else is wrong.

How are you formatting the Time Machine drive? Be sure it's the GUID *Partition Map Scheme* and +Mac OS Extended (Journaled)+ or +Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled)+ Format. See #5 in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum) if you're not sure.

Have you done a +*verify disk+* (not permissions) on your internal HD?

Aug 21, 2010 8:21 PM in response to Pondini

Yes I have replaced the external HD twice. Both times a new 1tb HD

The format is guid partition

Yes I have verified the internal HD

When I excluded the above file and ran tm again it stopped again and another file was not indexed in tm buddy

I am so confused and frustrated since I am meticulous about backing up. I have used carbon cloned to make a backup on another external HD.
It is easier for me when I do heart surgery than computer mgmt and AppleCare has not been very helpful

Rajiv

Aug 21, 2010 8:37 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
. . .
When I excluded the above file and ran tm again it stopped again and another file was not indexed in tm buddy

Do you recall if the other file was also a system-type file? Or can you find that message?

The main reason I'm suspecting the drive is it's quite rare to have this sort of a problem with a system file, that Disk Utility doesn't find.

I am so confused and frustrated since I am meticulous about backing up. I have used carbon cloned to make a backup on another external HD.

Good plan! Many of us do the same.

It is easier for me when I do heart surgery than computer mgmt

Well, that makes us even. It's easier for me to do computer stuff than heart surgery. 😉

and AppleCare has not been very helpful

So you've talked to them about this? Did they have you do anything else that we haven't covered here (so I don't suggest the same things)?

Aug 22, 2010 2:27 PM in response to Pondini

the last failure showed the following:

Starting standard backup
Backing up to: /Volumes/Untitled/Backups.backupdb
Backup content size: 253.1 GB excluded items size: 1.1 GB for volume Macintosh HD
No pre-backup thinning needed: 302.47 GB requested (including padding), 930.57 GB available
Indexing a file failed. Returned 200 for: /System/Library/CoreServices/Ticket Viewer.app, /Volumes/Untitled/Backups.backupdb/van (5)/2010-08-21-170920.inProgress/BC6A56DD-4159-439B-A3DF-0DA7A0F585D6/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/Ticket Viewer.app
Aborting backup because indexing of file failed.
Stopping backup.
Copied 51310 files (16.4 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11

Another time it showed the following:

Starting standard backup
No pre-backup thinning needed: 280.33 GB requested (including padding), 912.16 GB available
Error (256): fetching properties: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 UserInfo=0x100133630 "The file “LocalizedThemeDescription.plist” couldn’t be opened." Underlying Error=(Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=5 UserInfo=0x100126fe0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. Input/output error")
Copied 38517 files (27 KB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Backup canceled.
Stopping backupd to allow ejection of backup destination disk!

it also did not work on file versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/smtpd.pyc

I excluded both files and it just worked. It seems to have backed up all the files. Is there a way to check? Also are the files that I excluded important? should i do anything else?

I did talk to AppleCare 4 days ago. The gentleman was very nice and helpful. He did not understand how to fix the problem so he was going to push it up to the next level but they have not responded. I must say that I am very disappointed. I have 3 IMAC computers, 1 power mac G4, a macbook pro laptop, an ipad, 2 iphones and several itouches and ipods. I love Apple but I am very disappointed with the service. I always get apple care when available and, fortunately, have never had to use it. Now I did and I really have not gotten the help that I wanted. Just my ranting. No matter, I am still going to stay with apple.

Rajiv

Aug 22, 2010 2:35 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

the first successful showed the following:

Starting standard backup
Backup content size: 253.1 GB excluded items size: 3.3 GB for volume Macintosh HD
No pre-backup thinning needed: 299.81 GB requested (including padding), 930.57 GB available
Copied 46.0 GB of 249.8 GB, 158233 of 897432 items
Copied 106.3 GB of 249.8 GB, 161789 of 897432 items
Error: (-8084) SrcErr:YES Copying /Users/rajivandvandanajauhar/Library/FileSync/c42c032c9aea/SyncSets to (null)
Copied 164.4 GB of 249.8 GB, 191704 of 897432 items
Copied 221.4 GB of 249.8 GB, 193780 of 897432 items
Copied 194011 files (245.8 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.
No pre-backup thinning needed: 643.8 MB requested (including padding), 681.90 GB available
Copied 1755 files (68.9 MB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Starting post-backup thinning
No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist
Backup completed successfully.

Aug 22, 2010 2:42 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
. . .
I excluded both files and it just worked. It seems to have backed up all the files.

That's a bit surprising (but good). 🙂

Is there a way to check?

If the backup completed normally, everything should be fine. If you want, you can browse your backups, and perhaps restore a few selected things to alternate locations (such as your desktop), and compare them, just to be sure. (If you're not sure how to do that, see #16 in the FAQ.)

Also are the files that I excluded important?

They're not critical, and reinstalling OSX would get fresh copies.

I did talk to AppleCare 4 days ago. The gentleman was very nice and helpful. He did not understand how to fix the problem so he was going to push it up to the next level but they have not responded. I must say that I am very disappointed. I have 3 IMAC computers, 1 power mac G4, a macbook pro laptop, an ipad, 2 iphones and several itouches and ipods. I love Apple but I am very disappointed with the service. I always get apple care when available and, fortunately, have never had to use it. Now I did and I really have not gotten the help that I wanted. Just my ranting. No matter, I am still going to stay with apple.

They will get back to you, sooner or later. Some of them don't seem to know a great deal about Time Machine, unfortunately, and this is not a common situation.

As long as you do have completed backups, you're probably ok. I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it for a while; if nothing else goes wrong, and you haven't heard from AppleCare, then decide if you want to go farther.

If you do, I'd suggest reinstalling OSX from your Install disc (that won't touch anything else). Then
download and install the 10.6.4 "combo" update. Info and download available at: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1048 Be sure to do a +Repair Permissions+ via Disk Utility (in your Applications/Utilities folder) afterwards.

That will get you a new, fresh copy of OSX. Try a backup to make sure everything's still ok, then remove the exclusions and see what happens. If it runs ok, then something in those two files was corrupted -- unusual, but as they say, "stuff happens."

Keep us posted.

Aug 22, 2010 3:48 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
Pondini:

Thank you so much for your help.

You're quite welcome.

I am also not sure why it worked but it keeps backuping every hour without difficulty. I did reload the 10.6.4 and all this has happened since.

Very odd.

If this all started after reloading, then something may have gone wrong with that. Again that's rare, but does happen.

Aug 24, 2010 7:37 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Rajiv Jauhar wrote:
Pondini:

Now what is happening is that it is backing up successfully every hour but when i go to time machine I only see NOW and one from 8:33am yesterday morning. Why dont I see the other hourly backups?

It may have started a new "sequence" of backups. Try the +*Browse ...+* option, per #E2 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

And/or, see #E4 there.

time machine is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.