Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

FaceTime via Apple TV call disconnects

Hi, I’m using FaceTime on my Apple TV, with a hand off to the camera on my phone. Every time(!) on a call after a certain amount of time (10 min?) the call suddenly drops.

Apple TV still shows FaceTime , I can see the button to disconnect. To fix it I then have to first disconnect the hand off, connect again, and start up the call again. The same thing will repeat itself.

what can I try to fix this?

devices have been restarted, I have disabled screen lock on my iPhone so that it wouldn’t go to sleep. Good to say that I don’t have this issue while just using FaceTime on my iPhone, it is specific to when I canll with Apple TV and hand off the camera.

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 1:33 PM

This has to be happening to more people. I had hoped it would go away with any of the updates since Sept, but even now with iOS and tvOS 17.4, it still happens. Has anyone reached out to Apple Support for a solution? or found a solution?

For me, when my Apple TV 4K is connected with my spouses iPhone 15 ProMax on a FaceTime call, this below just pops up in the middle of the FaceTime call after several minutes, while it is already connected to the party, but prompts to "accept or decline" another call (top right corner) from that same party....

Nothing was touched on the phone or otherwise, the already connected party is not trying to re-call. The "Disconnect" button shown cannot be selected with the remote. Pressing the TV button as prompted merely opens the control panel, it does not offer to accept or decline the call. The only way to do get anywhere is to double click the TV button to then find and slide-up the FaceTime session to hang up.

It is already hard enough to even just get the continuity FaceTime call going, but then to have it randomly drop or "double-call", takes a lot away from it's utility.

I hope I am just missing a setting (or resetting), because I really want to use this.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2024 1:33 PM in response to Lovingmyappledevices

This has to be happening to more people. I had hoped it would go away with any of the updates since Sept, but even now with iOS and tvOS 17.4, it still happens. Has anyone reached out to Apple Support for a solution? or found a solution?

For me, when my Apple TV 4K is connected with my spouses iPhone 15 ProMax on a FaceTime call, this below just pops up in the middle of the FaceTime call after several minutes, while it is already connected to the party, but prompts to "accept or decline" another call (top right corner) from that same party....

Nothing was touched on the phone or otherwise, the already connected party is not trying to re-call. The "Disconnect" button shown cannot be selected with the remote. Pressing the TV button as prompted merely opens the control panel, it does not offer to accept or decline the call. The only way to do get anywhere is to double click the TV button to then find and slide-up the FaceTime session to hang up.

It is already hard enough to even just get the continuity FaceTime call going, but then to have it randomly drop or "double-call", takes a lot away from it's utility.

I hope I am just missing a setting (or resetting), because I really want to use this.

FaceTime via Apple TV call disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.