Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Account changes are restricted by a profile," making changes to Apple ID on Sonoma?

On my MBP running Sonoma 14.1 MacOS, in Settings under my Apple ID, all the settings are grayed out, and it says "Account changes are restricted by a profile." What is causing this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 6:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:02 AM

*UPDATE*

After some research I found out hat this blockage is directly related with the Screen Time options/settings on iOS and/or MacOS. Sonoma goes even on more MacOS sections (you might noticed) I've seen them on many settings MBP.

If you set some Screen Time controls on your iPhone and you enable the "Share Across Devices" it will "block" many options or settings on your Mac.

So the solution is just to disable Screen Time controls on your Mac or try with its settings to fits your needs and/or disable "Share Across Devices".

That worked quite charm for me. Hope that help you!

Martin

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 9:02 AM in response to Ethan-L

*UPDATE*

After some research I found out hat this blockage is directly related with the Screen Time options/settings on iOS and/or MacOS. Sonoma goes even on more MacOS sections (you might noticed) I've seen them on many settings MBP.

If you set some Screen Time controls on your iPhone and you enable the "Share Across Devices" it will "block" many options or settings on your Mac.

So the solution is just to disable Screen Time controls on your Mac or try with its settings to fits your needs and/or disable "Share Across Devices".

That worked quite charm for me. Hope that help you!

Martin

Nov 17, 2023 10:46 AM in response to MartinNavarro

This answers why there's a message on my Mac in Sonoma 14.1.1 saying my own account (personal use, not restricted by anyone else) has changes "restricted by a profile."

What doesn't make any sense is why my iPhone has locked down my Mac's Apple ID simply because I'm sharing data across all devices.

I use a time-tracking app that will track usage across all my devices and consolidate that into its summary to see where my time is spent in much granular ways than what Apple provides. That requires Sharing Across Devices to be on.

Having my iOS devices lock down access to my account on my Mac makes no sense. I don't think this has been thought through. (I never would've guessed it was my iPhone that was the "profile," if you can even call it that, that caused the restriction, based on its cryptic message.)

"Account changes are restricted by a profile," making changes to Apple ID on Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.