Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 can't use Apple Pro Display XDR as an external monitor??

I know you can connect an iPhone 15 via its USB-C cable to an external monitor and mirror the iPhone. Why in the world does that not work with an Apple Pro Display XDR?? I can't find anything online showing it being done, and I spoke with an Apple rep who told me that the XDR does not support iPhone. How does that happen?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 9:49 AM

Regardless of what the technical reasons are, from a consumer point of view, it's kind of ridiculous that I can plug my iPhone 15 to any 3rd party monitor that supports HDMI or DisplayPort, but it won't work with Apple's own premium displays. Did I pay $5k for an Apple Display that doesn't work with its own products? Makes no sense.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2023 9:49 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Regardless of what the technical reasons are, from a consumer point of view, it's kind of ridiculous that I can plug my iPhone 15 to any 3rd party monitor that supports HDMI or DisplayPort, but it won't work with Apple's own premium displays. Did I pay $5k for an Apple Display that doesn't work with its own products? Makes no sense.

Oct 31, 2023 10:32 AM in response to henrus

henrus wrote:

Regardless of what the technical reasons are, from a consumer point of view, it's kind of ridiculous that I can plug my iPhone 15 to any 3rd party monitor that supports HDMI or DisplayPort

Monitors which don't have a resolution of 6K, and the associated demands that this places both on the GPU and on the bandwidth of the connection to the monitor.

iPhone 15 can't use Apple Pro Display XDR as an external monitor??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.