Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Group Messaging toggle is missing in IOS 17

iOS 17 is missing the toggle to turn off group messaging. I updated to iOS 17 and cannot find the feature in settings to toggle off group messaging. Has this feature been deleted from the new operating system or is there a bug?

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 12:00 PM

Group messaging toggle was removed by Apple, has nothing to do with the carrier. This is a big problem and I can't understand why Apple would do this without so much as a warning to its customers. By not allowing a "Group messaging toggle button" everyone in your group message sees everyone else's contacts therefor causing a big privacy issue for the recipients of the message...

63 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 12:00 PM in response to sberman

Group messaging toggle was removed by Apple, has nothing to do with the carrier. This is a big problem and I can't understand why Apple would do this without so much as a warning to its customers. By not allowing a "Group messaging toggle button" everyone in your group message sees everyone else's contacts therefor causing a big privacy issue for the recipients of the message...

Nov 27, 2023 5:42 PM in response to DonMichaels

This sucks!! I use this feature all of the time!! I don’t want to send a group text to 10 kids and 20 parents about basketball practice and have everyone’s phone ding every time someone replies. Also need to send a text to about 30 people about a party and to over 200 people for a save the date……and that’s JUST today!!!!!!

Nov 15, 2023 5:53 PM in response to DonMichaels

For some reason starting this past week, I have not been able to send any iMessages. Everything coming from my iPhone is a text message. I also cannot participate in any group messages or send links or certain pictures texts. I thought it was because I had an old phone so I got a new one. Getting a new phone did not fix the situation at all. All the problems from my old phone carried over to my new phone. Apple products are too expensive to not work the way they are supposed to work.

Nov 28, 2023 7:32 AM in response to 21Wis

21Wis wrote:

I use this feature all of the time!! I don’t want to send a group text to 10 kids and 20 parents about basketball practice and have everyone’s phone ding every time someone replies. Also need to send a text to about 30 people about a party and to over 200 people for a save the date……and that’s JUST today!!!!!!

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 30, 2023 6:25 PM in response to sberman

Yes, that’s a work around. But not too many will think to do that.

Another reason I dislike the ‘Every receives all replies’ result is that I when I’m not the originator of the group text, I see replies and have to figure why that person is texting “Ok” to me.

And I have to hear multiple dings and look at my phone texts for something that wasn’t intended for me.

Oct 30, 2023 5:13 PM in response to sberman

Thanks SB. I can send group messages to multiple people on iPhones and Android. I normally send to 8 to 12 people asking for opinions or permissions to do something. More on a professional topic rather than casual chit-chat. When the group messaging toggle was turned off, only I would receive the replies from those who reply. That was the desired result.

It’s not good when someone replies ’ok’ and 12 people have to hear the ding and see it.

Mar 13, 2024 8:03 AM in response to DonMichaels

My iPhone 12 has been updated to iOS 17.4 as of this morning. The group messaging is getting even worse. There is a group I text every morning and have been doing so since I had iPhone SE 1st gen. The work around I was using to send to individuals is appearing as a group and any responses are viewed by the group. These kind of changes pushes me back to Samsung Galaxy. Which I currently have the 23. This is another story in itself. But I am accustomed to the iPhone and would like to continue with iPhone. But if Apple cannot get it together, as this affects businesses that use iPhone, businesses may look to Samsung as their options to go to. Most businesses I have come across use iPhone as their supplied phones to their personnel. Group messages go out to staff but are not necessary for 'All' to see responses.

Is this something Apple is going to look into? Or do we just need to make the switch to another competitor, Samsung, that will satisfy the needs of businesses to send group texts to individuals and receive individual responses?

Group Messaging toggle is missing in IOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.