How to Convert PDF to JPG on Mac?

I am seeking help regarding converting PDF to JPG on Mac. I am struggling to find a method that is both efficient and user-friendly. Converting PDFs to JPGs is important to me as it allows me to easily share images and embed them in presentations or documents. I would ideally like to be able to convert multiple PDFs to JPGs simultaneously to save time.

I am hoping to hear from forum members who can provide me with guidance on the best software, step-by-step instructions, and possibly even some best practices for this task. Thank you.

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 6:38 PM

CKness wrote:

Finder did not give me a good experience, as it does not offer extensive preview options for all file types, which can make previewing certain files more difficult.

Preview does not have the bulk convert feature. However, you can convert pdf to jpg one by one (one page per jpg file). This could be great if you want to convert a few pdf pages to jpg. For converting all pdf pages, you can take a look at this compressive guide. It suggest five different ways to help you convert pdf to jpg on a Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/5-best-ways-to-convert-pdf-to-jpg-on-mac-ventura/

I am sure one of the methods should work in you case.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 6:38 PM in response to CKness

CKness wrote:

Finder did not give me a good experience, as it does not offer extensive preview options for all file types, which can make previewing certain files more difficult.

Preview does not have the bulk convert feature. However, you can convert pdf to jpg one by one (one page per jpg file). This could be great if you want to convert a few pdf pages to jpg. For converting all pdf pages, you can take a look at this compressive guide. It suggest five different ways to help you convert pdf to jpg on a Mac:

https://www.uubyte.com/blog/5-best-ways-to-convert-pdf-to-jpg-on-mac-ventura/

I am sure one of the methods should work in you case.

Oct 31, 2023 3:53 AM in response to CKness

Hi,

Use Acrobat

Use the Finder to open your PDF in Acrobat, then select File. From the drop-down menu, select Export to › Image. Choose the image format you want to export your PDF as, such as JPG. Click Export.

Without Acrobat.

1. Find the PDF in Finder.
  2. Right-click on the file.
  3. Select Open With > Preview.
  4. Click File > Export.
  5. Set the Format drop-down menu to JPEG.
  6. Name the file and choose where you want to save the converted file.
  7. Then, click Save.

Mar 27, 2024 12:51 PM in response to revher

Even if we discount the solution I provided above, a brew info poppler installation would involve an enormous dependency tree that would keep growing as the developers added additional dependencies. This might be an appeal on Linux, but on macOS, there are n-tuple ways to split images from a PDF already available within the operating system that preclude this optional homebrew approach.

Mar 28, 2024 7:55 AM in response to revher

Who is the audience in these communities? A few experienced developers or millions of eyes (including those from Google archived posts) that haven't written a single line of code, are not technical, and just want an uncomplicated, punctual solution to their problem?

Strange Response to your post? I don't think so in the larger scheme of typical user skill and aversion to lost productivity (read time loss).

You go round up all of the 16 dependent packages that poppler requires and integrate them into the build tree, then try to build it in Xcode and see how pragmatic that advice turns out to be for you.

You know, I would like to post more efficient solutions written in Ruby, Python/Objective-C, or Swift and realize that these would be accompanied by other dependencies and installations that I don't want to impose on users or inherit the time involved in supporting that education.

Nov 9, 2023 8:00 PM in response to CKness

Alright, so converting PDFs to JPGs on a Mac is pretty straightforward, and you don't need to download any fancy software for the basics. Here's a chill step-by-step guide:

1.Preview (Built-in App): Open your PDF with Preview, which is the default app on your Mac for opening PDFs. If it doesn't open in Preview, right-click the PDF, choose 'Open with,' and then select 'Preview.'

2.Export to JPG:

• Once you've got your PDF open in Preview, click on 'File' in the top menu.
    • Select 'Export' from the drop-down menu.
    • In the dialog that pops up, you'll see a 'Format' dropdown. Click on that and choose 'JPEG.'
    • Choose the quality you want and where to save it, and boom, you've got yourself a JPG.

3. For Multiple PDFs:

• If you're looking to convert several PDFs at once without doing them one by one, you might need a bit more firepower.
    • You can use an Automator script (Automator is another built-in app) to create a workflow that converts multiple PDFs. It's a little techie to set up, but once you do, it's a time-saver.
    • There are also third-party apps out there that can batch convert, like PDFelement or Adobe Acrobat, but they might cost you some cash.

4. Best Practices:

• When converting, keep an eye on the resolution. Higher resolution means clearer images but larger file sizes.
    • Organize your PDFs in one folder if you're batch converting. It keeps things neat and less confusing.
    • Always keep a copy of your original PDFs, just in case the conversion doesn't go as planned.

And that's pretty much it! For a one-off, stick with Preview. If you're doing this often and in bulk, it might be worth looking into Automator or a third-party app to streamline your process. Happy converting

Nov 11, 2023 3:02 AM in response to kaz-k

kaz-k wrote:

1. Hi,
Use Acrobat
Use the Finder to open your PDF in Acrobat, then select File. From the drop-down menu, select Export to › Image. Choose the image format you want to export your PDF as, such as JPG. Click Export.

Without Acrobat.
Find the PDF in Finder.
2. Right-click on the file.
3. Select Open With > Preview.
4. Click File > Export.
5. Set the Format drop-down menu to JPEG.
6. Name the file and choose where you want to save the converted file.
7. Then, click Save.

Nov 11, 2023 3:18 AM in response to Behrang_Abadi

Behrang_Abadi wrote:
3. For Multiple PDFs:
If you're looking to convert several PDFs at once without doing them one by one, you might need a bit more firepower.
• You can use an Automator script (Automator is another built-in app) to create a workflow that converts multiple PDFs. It's a little techie to set up, but once you do, it's a time-saver.
• There are also third-party apps out there that can batch convert, like PDFelement or Adobe Acrobat, but they might cost you some cash.

Automator seems like a challenge for computer beginners. PDFelement takes a bit longer to load large PDFs and may cause lag. About the Adobe Acrobat,one of the biggest drawbacks is its pricing. The monthly or annual subscription fees can be quite steep, and the interface can be complicated to navigate.

I don't want to use software that's too complicated or difficult to manipulate.

Nov 11, 2023 3:24 AM in response to CKness

The operating system maintains a Launch Services Database of applications and the file types those applications can open. It is from that database that the Finder's Open With sub-menu is constructed with the default application being at the top.

That Open With sub-menu is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all applications, just the principal ones for the selected file type to keep a manageable menu. There is also an Other… at the bottom of that menu structure in case you want to use an application not on the menu.

Back to your original post… did you find a solution here that helps with converting multiple PDFs to JPEG?

Mar 27, 2024 4:11 AM in response to CKness

You can use the command line with 'pdftoppm' from the poppler suite:

$ pdftoppm foo.pdf output -jpeg

and each page of the file foo.pdf is split into numbered pages: output-01.jpg, outpout-02.jpg etc.

You can also start the extraction from a specific page and end it at another page.

In order to get pdftoppm, you can use homebrew (if already installed):

$ brew install poppler

CKness wrote:

I am seeking help regarding converting PDF to JPG on Mac. I am struggling to find a method that is both efficient and user-friendly. Converting PDFs to JPGs is important to me as it allows me to easily share images and embed them in presentations or documents. I would ideally like to be able to convert multiple PDFs to JPGs simultaneously to save time.
I am hoping to hear from forum members who can provide me with guidance on the best software, step-by-step instructions, and possibly even some best practices for this task. Thank you.

Mar 28, 2024 3:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

What a strange response, not very encouraging to answer a legitimate question and my proposed easy solution.

- Historically, people switched from Linux to Mac because the new OS/X was (and still is) based on Unix. And Apple's laptops worked great while the Linux kernel didn't support suspend/resume or only for specific hardware;

- You can compile the poppler suite from scratch using Apple Xcode if you want;

- Homebrew is an easy way to use open source software that Apple is (was?) so proud of. A Homebrew installation is very simple and essential for any Mac user. Macport is another way. Installing Homebrew does not interfere with your Mac installation at all. It is mainly based on command line tools.

It is therefore not an appeal for Linux but an appeal for simplicity and efficiency (if you are not reluctant to use Terminal).

How to Convert PDF to JPG on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.