Why is focus turning on by itself?

Why is focus turning on by itself? I never set it up.

I use do not disturb. I never used/setup focus. Every few days I find that focus has turned on. It appears to turn on when dnd turns off for the day. dnd runs from 12 am to 7 am. Every few days I notice that focus is on after 7 am, so I have to turn it off.

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 7:24 AM

Do Not Disturb has turned on by itself several times now on my MacBook Air. I've never turned it on, I have no schedules. That goes for all of my Apple devices, not that any of them are set to Share Across Devices anyway.

9 replies

Jan 2, 2024 10:31 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, you stated that "... Focus never turns on or off by itself...". That is true.

I never use the Focus feature on my MacBook Pro. Irrespective, there are times where I find it turned on. Since it's not a conscious decision, there must be something in the many ways the focus mode can be enabled, in the typical use that triggers it. What sets this issue apart from most user screw-ups is that usually that mode is not easily detectable, so people that want to contact you are unable.

Jan 2, 2024 11:36 AM in response to EeqMCsq

In Focus settings one of the options is Share Across Devices. If this is on then turning on DND on one device will turn it on for all devices. You can also set schedules for when DND is enabled, and also geofencing: When you go to a specific location it will turn on automatically (I use this for my health club, for example). But all of these must be set up by the user; the one exception is Driving, which can be controlled using Parental Controls, or by a business or school that has MDM permissions.

Oct 31, 2023 2:01 PM in response to primavera32

Focus is a collection of customizable Do Not Disturb options. Focus never turns on or off by itself; one of the Focus options turns on or off.

The basic one is Do Not Disturb itself, which you can turn on and off manually using the button next to the word Focus in the Control Center, and/or set a schedule for automatic DND. The others can be deleted if you don’t use them; Go to Settings/Focus, tap on a focus, and tap Remove (you can add any back, so there’s no risk in deleting them). Each of them works the same was as basic DND, so you can choose to use them or not.

Apr 11, 2024 1:15 PM in response to WendyTF

WendyTF wrote:

I have the same problem and have TRUED EVERYTHING to stop Focus and DND from turning on by themselves! I have followed every suggestion from Apple Support to no avail.

Unless you tell us what suggestions you've tried, we won't know (our crystal balls are all broken), so it's hard to know what to suggest. But there's obviously something you've missed. Screenshots of the focus set ups would be helpful. Here's what I mean:

As you can see in the second picture, this focus is set to turn on automatically under certain conditions.

How can we stop this or get rid of this app?

Focus is not an app. It is part of iOS. You cannot remove it.

Apr 29, 2024 7:09 AM in response to primavera32

Focus is off on all of my devices, iv gone through setting and deleted any focuses but when i wake up in the morning i wake up to missed calls from work that never rang, ringer was on volume was high but somehow for some reason, focus was on despite the fact that i would never enable focus

I need focus off my phone entirely it has not done me any good, my phone assuming that im not busy and can afford not getting called in for work is absolutely ridiculous and completely untrue

i hope there is a better solution for future updates to be able to shut focus off entirely for some users instead of it turning on as soon as my phone updates , the concept is a great idea, but not for a blue collar worker that has to go on emergency calls at any point in the night

Why is focus turning on by itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.