Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max heats up when charging

I have recently bought 15 pro max. But my phone heats up when charging. Its not normal on a new phone as i have used all apple genuine charging adapter and cable.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2024 11:24 PM

I get so annoyed and frustrated on this iphone 15 pro max. The battery drains so fast, literally used up 80% within 4 hours and the phone gets so hot when charging. i turned off whatever that was suggested yet nothing helped. Soooooo disappointed and have nowhere to get help.

32 replies

Dec 8, 2023 5:54 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I understand that logic. The simple truth is , It’s very simple, The fact that my iPhone 12 Pro did not overheat whatsoever and now all of a sudden the 15 pro overheats. Sorry, gets piping hot is NOT normal period. I’ve had eight iPhones and have 13 Apple products. In fact, did a test with my dad’s iPhone 15 and is as cool as a cucumber. This may be a 15 pro issue.

Nov 1, 2023 9:20 AM in response to 43_sujan

It is perfectly normal on all phones. It’s called the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Anything that creates or uses energy does so with some loss. That lost energy is expressed as heat. So when you charge the phone it generates heat in the power source, heat in the charger circuit in the phone, and heat as the energy goes into the battery. The faster the charging, the more heat is generated. Likewise when you discharge the battery; not all of the energy from the battery gets to the circuits that use it. Some of it becomes heat. 

If you use the cellular network for voice or data, converting energy to radio frequency signals is very wasteful; only about 30% of the energy that goes into the network components comes out as radio signals, the other 70% becomes heat. And signal strength matters; a 1 bar signal requires that the phone boost its transmitter power to maintain a connection, and it isn’t linear. 1 bar uses 10 times as much energy as 4 bars. You didn’t mention your phone model, but an iPhone 12 or newer (including SE 3rd edition) with a 5G signal uses about twice as much energy as an LTE signal, and 5G towers are still not as densely distributed as LTE, so the signal is likely to be weaker, compounding the problem.

Dec 8, 2023 5:32 PM in response to 43_sujan

Apple had the audacity to call me back after an hour and a half of discussing to tell me that this was normal. (obviously did not accept that answer and had them schedule me to have it checked out at Apple Store) I have a brand new one day old from December 7 iPhone 15 Pro 256 GB. (On iOS 17.1.2) Phone gets piping hot when plugged into Apple OEM cable charger. Seems to be fine with wireless charge. Prior phone was iPhone 12 Pro 256 GB. No issues. Lawrence, what a kick the can down the road kind of answer to blame everything on everything. Why was everything good with my 12 Pro and now the 15 Pro immediately overheats. This is bad.

Feb 9, 2024 11:56 PM in response to jeffincanada

(Apologies for such a long drawn out comment) I’ve been in wireless sales/repairs for 20yrs maybe I can inform on the topic. You’re not alone this happens to my iPhone 15 Pro ALL THE TIME whenever it’s charging & I’m using it to play a game, play music, browse online, etc. without fail after 30-45mins at most I’ll get the pop up saying “Charging will resume when iPhone returns to normal temperature. I do have some “informative” input. It IS an iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max issue. I’ve been in wireless retail since ‘04 after graduating HS. I got a job at a Nextel(hands down BEST carrier & features EVER! Especially the direct connect) My store was a retail & service repair center. So the past 20yrs have taught me a TON about wireless especially being a certified wireless repair tech I’m also certified by Apple to do service & repair. I’ve been with my current store now going on 4yrs. I’m a Retail Store Manager at a VZW store. Granted not corporate Verizon but w/the biggest Verizon franchise in The US(Wireless Zone) so I’m not but 1 step below corporate stores & customer care far as what we can and cannot do in my store & the only sole difference is we absolutely cannot adjust/credit a customer’s account. This is a very well known issue to Apple according to my stores Apple Representative however for whatever reason they’ve been unable to pinpoint the bug bc normally a software update would fix all across the board. However in this case that will not work, clearly if we’re still experiencing it since the base iPhone 15/15+ don’t have the issue so it’s something in 15 Pro/Pro Max boards or software. So who knows honestly when it’ll be fixed. My Apple Rep seems to believe that while it’s a huge inconvenience to users it doesn’t rank high enough on list versus other known issues therefore it’ll probably be a long time if ever.

Jan 29, 2024 6:41 PM in response to 43_sujan

Me too , switch all the APP ,WIFI , Data , still super hot. i am very sad from the day 1 i have this iPhone 15 pro max. within 7 days, the shop studio don't accept return or change.. i spent 2000SGD plus , i hate this super hot apple phone. i went to Apple customer service, their technical said, " hot is normal, mine is same as yours".

How to do ? i went to the studio shop and apple service center at orchard road, Wasted my time and energy, nobody can help........

Apr 7, 2024 2:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

You seem to be a smart person but right now you’re being a troll. So as the old adage goes, if you have nothing nice to say then it’s best to say nothing at all. You’re really not providing anything further to this forum. You’ve given your explanation of it. What it comes down to is that it’s not something unheard of, it’s an actual issue, and there’s a flaw if it’s so inefficiently charging and it’s only with the 15 Pro. So please, if you don’t have a solution don’t frazzle the rest of us further to try and play up your intelligence because you’re making yourself out to be a smart *** not smart.

My iPhone 15 Pro Max heats up when charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.