Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Will Ipad Air 2 get IOS 16?

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 8:09 AM

I think that’s not fair because you can’t even watch Netflix on your iPad if it’s an iPad Air too because it doesn’t support Netflix because Netflix needs 16.0 or higher I think you guys need to update these tablets. They’re still in good condition and they shouldn’t be obsolete.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2024 8:09 AM in response to LotusPilot

I think that’s not fair because you can’t even watch Netflix on your iPad if it’s an iPad Air too because it doesn’t support Netflix because Netflix needs 16.0 or higher I think you guys need to update these tablets. They’re still in good condition and they shouldn’t be obsolete.

Apr 22, 2024 12:30 PM in response to CalvesPT

CalvesPT wrote:

It's not the developers' fault. This measure that Apple took is not fair. They should make IOS updates of different versions for several products in their range that still work and support.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Developers could continue to support older versions of iPadOS if they chose to.

Nov 1, 2023 9:18 AM in response to Amii_

Your iPad Air2 is capable of update to iPadOS 15.8; the Air2 hardware does not support iPadOS16 or later.

For information, here is a list of the highest version of iOS supported by the older models of iPad (for simplicity - “generations” are shortened to a number) that are restricted in their ability to be updated:

32-bit devices (obsolete)

iPad1 - iOS 5.1.1

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 - iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models), iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular)

iPad4 - iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only), iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular)

64-bit devices

iPad Air1, iPad mini2 and iPad mini3 - iOS 12.5.7

iPad Air2, iPad mini4 - iPadOS 15.8

iPad5, iPad Pro (9.7"/12.9" first generation) - iPadOS 16.7.2

Newer models are all able to be updated to the current version - iPadOS 17.1

• iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11" (1st generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 10.5"
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (6th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Apr 1, 2024 8:04 AM in response to dancesunshine74

dancesunshine74 wrote:

That really upsets me as I bought 2, ipad2 s brand new with lots of Gigabytes so that my mom and I wouldn’t have to replace them because of memory issues and now this!! Totally unfair!!!

The decision to support specific versions of iPadOS are entirely that of an App Developer - not Apple.

As such, if an App requires a more recent version of iPadOS than your iPad is capable, you need to express your disappointment to the Developer of the respective App:

How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Apr 22, 2024 12:23 PM in response to LotusPilot

It's not the developers' fault. This measure that Apple took is not fair. They should make IOS updates of different versions for several products in their range that still work and support. For example, iPad Air 2 does not have access to IOS 16.x and stopped at IOS 15.x, and developers want to continue with the progression of IOS. In my opinion, it is dirty capitalism strategies to force a consumer to abandon the obsolete product, forced by the illusion of operating system progress, to buy a new product. This is a vicious cycle.

Will Ipad Air 2 get IOS 16?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.