Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Siri keeps listening after she answers my question on my iPhone

I ask Siri a question, she answers like normal, but then she keeps listening and the results I’m trying to read go away because she’s moved on to answering some inane thing that was not directed to her. Why is this happening? How can I turn it off? It is so inconvenient and unwelcome.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 9:58 PM

Yes PLEASE help me find a way to turn this off. It used to be much better because if I needed to ask another question, after Siri already showed the first results, I could simply touch the orb and it would begin listening again, but now it listens no matter what. This means that background noice causes Siri to answer a new, random, unwanted question. Very annoying.

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2023 9:58 PM in response to Snaetch

Yes PLEASE help me find a way to turn this off. It used to be much better because if I needed to ask another question, after Siri already showed the first results, I could simply touch the orb and it would begin listening again, but now it listens no matter what. This means that background noice causes Siri to answer a new, random, unwanted question. Very annoying.

Dec 13, 2023 12:11 PM in response to SravanKrA

Hi!

I'm also finding this update to be a huge inconvenience unfortunately. So glad i've come across others having the same issue. Personally when i'm asking Siri something, i'm typically not with my phone; i'm asking it to set timers for dinner or some other action where it becomes a problem if i have to go and deliberately press the side button or tap the screen. Additionally, now having to say "that's all" (or similar) to make it stop listening in a hands-off manner, adds an unnecessary step to what is supposed to be an easier way to do things...

Really hope this update gets reversed, or we get an option to stop Siri from continuing to listen after we've asked it something!

Thanks!

Feb 29, 2024 7:00 AM in response to SravanKrA

This is the problem! Do you not understand what these other people are saying? They don’t want SIRI to “Pause” and then keep listening. As the one person said you used to have to touch the “Orb” to get SIRI to listen to another question. As it is now, when it brings up 3 choices I tend to read the first line and where it came from at the bottom out loud. By the time I get to the second or third one SIRI hears me and goes to someplace that has nothing to do with the answer I was looking for in the first place. I have spoken and written to “Support”. They have no answer for this. Please put it back the way it was! This did not make it better or easier to use. It made it much WORSE!! FIX IT, PLEASE!!!

Mar 14, 2024 3:09 PM in response to forrest444

You act like this is a bug; it's not.

It's the way Siri works now and it's the way Apple has decided that Siri will work from now on.

Siri does listen past the first command, but only for a few seconds so not being able to select a keypad entry isn't due to this feature.

You can disagree with Apple, of course, but this isn't the place to make your views known as Apple is not here, and does not read these comments.

Leave your comments at the link below, as Apple does read them there:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Apr 24, 2024 10:41 PM in response to Star of Bethlehem

Star of Bethlehem wrote:

It's not a bug? Apple adds the worst feature they could possibly come up with with no way to disable it.

I find it one of the best features Apple added to iOS 17, so just because it bothers you doesn't mean it's a "bad" feature or an issue for everyone.

If you want to register your complaint, you may do so here:

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Dec 12, 2023 10:05 PM in response to Hibby06

Siri often waits after answering a question to see if you have any follow-up queries or need further assistance. It's designed to be attentive and ready for your next command or question. This brief pause allows you time to process the initial response and decide if you need to ask something else or perform another action. Siri's pause is more about being available and responsive rather than waiting for a specific reason.

To conclude your conversation with Siri, all you need to do is gently press the side button. This action effectively ends your interaction with Siri, allowing you to seamlessly return to your other tasks or activities without any further engagement.

Feb 29, 2024 7:08 AM in response to Dazed and Disgusted

Dazed and Disgusted wrote:

This is the problem! Do you not understand what these other people are saying? They don’t want SIRI to “Pause” and then keep listening. As the one person said you used to have to touch the “Orb” to get SIRI to listen to another question. As it is now, when it brings up 3 choices I tend to read the first line and where it came from at the bottom out loud. By the time I get to the second or third one SIRI hears me and goes to someplace that has nothing to do with the answer I was looking for in the first place. I have spoken and written to “Support”. They have no answer for this. Please put it back the way it was! This did not make it better or easier to use. It made it much WORSE!! FIX IT, PLEASE!!!

Do you not understand you are NOT speaking with anyone from Apple here? This is a user to user only forum, which Apple doesn't actively participate. Shouting at other users to fix anything when none of them have any anything to do with Apple will get you nothing.

There is a very simple solution if you want Siri to stop listening after you ask a question. Tap the side power button once. It can't be much easier than that.

Feb 29, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Mike_______|___

Again, you are not writing anyone from Apple on this user to user only forum. As users, we had nothing to do with how Siri works. I'm sure there are many scenarios one can come up with where something may not work optimally in that scenario. But no one here can change anything. So asking us about different scenarios we can't do anything about won't get you anything.

I recommend you share your unhappiness in how Siri operates with Apple however, which you can share here --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Siri keeps listening after she answers my question on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.