Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Ratings are not available in Apple Music running Sonoma

Apple Music no longer lists star ratings with playlists.

I am running Sonoma 14.1 on an Intel-chipped iMac. Song ratings have disappeared in Playlists. Ratings are visible in the Song list . I've read all the recent community questions and have not found the solutions.

The typical recommendation is to check the ratings box in Settings > General, however that option no longer exists for me.

Is there a work-around to have song ratings appear with my playlists.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 1:52 AM

I have the same issue - since cancelling my Apple Music subscription (so I can just use my local library), the show ratings checkbox has disappeared from Music > Settings > General

I found a workaround by sniffing around in the preferences files. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Quit the Music app
  2. Download a plist editor - I'm using Xplist which you can find on GitHub
  3. In Finder, go to your Music library folder - usually in username/Music/Music/Music Library
  4. Right click on the Music Library file and choose Show Package Contents
  5. Open the Preferences.plist file in your plist editor
  6. Change the value for ratings-mode: 0 to hide ratings, 3 to show ratings
  7. Save the plist file
  8. Open the Music app

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2024 1:52 AM in response to SFPhototog

I have the same issue - since cancelling my Apple Music subscription (so I can just use my local library), the show ratings checkbox has disappeared from Music > Settings > General

I found a workaround by sniffing around in the preferences files. Here are the steps you can try:

1. Quit the Music app
  2. Download a plist editor - I'm using Xplist which you can find on GitHub
  3. In Finder, go to your Music library folder - usually in username/Music/Music/Music Library
  4. Right click on the Music Library file and choose Show Package Contents
  5. Open the Preferences.plist file in your plist editor
  6. Change the value for ratings-mode: 0 to hide ratings, 3 to show ratings
  7. Save the plist file
  8. Open the Music app

Dec 26, 2023 3:45 PM in response to ifeltsweet

ifeltsweet wrote:

hello again, yes my account is signed in, I have tried to sign out/ in multiple times

maybe one must have an apple music suscription to enable all this music settings?

EDITED!

I wondered about that too, so I signed into a test account that doesn't have Apple Music and I thought I seen the setting but I fooled myself.

It seems like a really odd move to limit a feature that has been part of iTunes and Music for years whether you were an Apple Music subscriber or not. Might be time for Feedback - Apple Music - Apple. They've just removed a limit on the number of items shown in Recently Added. Perhaps this too was a mistake made when changing what options show in different states.

tt2

Dec 26, 2023 1:38 PM in response to ifeltsweet

When I sign out of my Apple ID from the Account menu in Music this is what I see if I use Music > Settings:

If I sign back in using Account > Sign In... I get these options instead, including one that controls the visibility of star ratings:

Note this is running macOS Sonoma 14.2 and Music 1.4.2.83. I cannot think why it might be different for you, not that I understand why Apple have chosen to hide those options when you're signed out ether. 😕

tt2

Dec 27, 2023 7:06 AM in response to turingtest2

I have the same issue, it happened overnight last week. Ratings missing in the playlists and on the individual Album window. Ratings are shown in the individual Info popup for every song and in the songs list.

Also several times logged out/in of my account, but I only get the simplified General options popup and not the extended with the tick box for Star ratings.

I have contacted Apple support, but they also could not provide me with an answer/solution.

I'm running MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1 and Music 1.4.2.83

Jan 24, 2024 3:16 AM in response to Rae55

Same issue still under Sonoma 14.3 (Music 1.4.3.27). It looks more like a discontinued feature than a bug. I managed to open a library at an older laptop (MacBook Pro 2013, running BigSur 11.7.10 with Music 1.1.6.37) and there the tick box for showing ratings is still available in settings/general. I can't open my current library because I get the error that it's created with a newer version of the Music app and can't be opened.

Apart from that my problem is getting bigger. I have also updated my iPhone and iPad to the latest IOS version (17.3) and when I synchronized it didn't recognize the library and saw it as a new installation. Now all my songs are greyed and I get the "this song is currently not available in your country/region" error message. All the songs are located and stored on my local external Samsung T7 SSD.

Feb 6, 2024 1:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry, I have been out of the country and couldn't respond earlier. Thanks for tracking this down. I followed the initial directions provided: signed into my iCloud account, closed Music completely, and then re-opened it. I also re-authorized my desktop. The option to select ratings is still missing.

Running: Sonoma 14.3. Music 1.4.3.27

I do not subscribe to Apple Music

From your comments, I think it is functionally dropped for those without Apple Music. I am going to submit a bug report.

If anyone on this feed has done so, would enjoy hearing any responses from Apple.

Ratings are not available in Apple Music running Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.