MacBook air m2 macOS Sonoma Battery Drain

it's been a month since I updated my MacBook Air M2 to macOS Sonoma. and since then I've been having issues with the battery. before Sonoma the battery was normal, I go on a full workday not thinking about charging. but since the update the battery holds about 4 hours from 80% to 20%. and that is OUTRAGEOUS! keep in mind I bought this Mac on AUG 11th 23!

I contacted Apple support and nothing!

Is anyone else having battery drain issues with macOS Sonoma?

MacBook Air, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 11:31 AM

Hi yzn4real,

I am having a similar problem when my 13" MacBook Air M2 (bought about a year ago) battery used to lasted a day, but after I installed Sonoma, my battery drain is similar to yours. This is outrages and unacceptable... This is a major issue, and definitely needs to be fixed.

16 replies

Nov 10, 2023 2:20 PM in response to yzn4real

I had a very similar issue. I've updated to Sonoma because (I was a fool) I liked all of those nice features it brings. Immediately after updating, I could see my battery loosing 10 % for every 45 min of normal usage, like browsing web and reading emails. This was very hard for me to accept, especially when knowing how much battery I could get under Ventura. So I switched back to Ventura and waited few weeks to see if anyone else is complaining about battery life on (almost new) m2 machine with Sonoma. And that's how I ended up here. So thank you for confirming my doubts. For those who have forgotten how much battery they can get on (pretty much anything else other than Sonoma) Ventura, have a look at my screen shot.

Nov 6, 2023 3:31 PM in response to yzn4real

I have had the same problem since updating to 14.1. The fan runs constantly, getting increasingly louder until the web page stops and I get the message that the page had to refresh because too much memory was being used. I used to charge my MacBook Air maybe once a week, but now it's like every other day. I spent a lot of time with Apple Support and even went to the Apple Store, but they didn't know what I was talking about and had had no other such complaints. They ran a diagnostic and said that my computer was fine. I was treated like an imbecile. It seems complicated to go back to the previous iOS version. It's probably too late for my battery anyway. Have you had any other new issues, like with Safari, since the upgrade?

Nov 9, 2023 1:51 PM in response to yzn4real

Update on my problem, so I want to the Apple authorised service provider and after three days they called me and they said "it got fixed" They claim that they tested it and it came out as normal (13 hours on streaming) after I went home and set up my Mac. I noticed that didn't change at all! so I called apple and we tried to downgrade to Ventura and it got a little bit better but not much. on Sonoma it was 80% to 40% in 2 hours but on Ventura it is 100% to 40% in 4 hours. obviously this is not good so now I'm gonna try to demand a replacement for my Mac and hopefully they listen.

btw I didn't mention this before but I tried to remove apps and browser extensions but obvs it didn't work it was just a desperate attempt from me.

this is a video that shows that I should get average of 13 hours of everyday use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP6qRj688cQ

Mar 8, 2024 2:11 AM in response to yzn4real

To be honest, this problem is very serious and annoying. I use my MacBook all the time, and I’ve configured it not to use a screensaver or anything. I even brought it in for a battery replacement, but the issue persists. Last time, I left my MacBook’s battery around 80% and closed the lid. The next day, I tried to turn it on, but the battery had already run out.

Jun 26, 2024 9:32 PM in response to yzn4real

Hey i was also facing the same issue ,

As i got upgraded to Sonoma it was taking lots of battery and even I noticed a bit of heating as well,

Then i decided to downgrade my OS back to Ventura and i can clearly see the difference of my battery performance.

Try downgrading the os , make sure to take a time machine backup and then go in recovery option then erase your data and then plug your ventura bootable pendrive and install ventura from there.

MacBook air m2 macOS Sonoma Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.