Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone 15 Pro Max Battery Health Dropped To 99% In Less Than A Month

My brother and I purchased the new iPhone 15 Pro Max when it released in September. At the beginning the iPhone was overheating even when charging. I also noticed that the battery would drain very quickly. I charge my phone up to 85-95% & only charge it to 100% when I know I will be out & about all day. But most of the time even if I do go out all day the max I charge the phone to is 95%.

I checked my battery health and it says 99% which is insane & NOT normal for a brand new iPhone that’s not even 2 months old. My brothers phone is at 100% on battery life and he is CONSTANTLY on his phone.

I’ve contacted apple and they have done their little test and shows that everything is fine but they don’t give an explanation as to WHY the iPhone has dropped to 99 in less than 2 months as well as to why the battery drains so quickly.

My iPhone is also updated to the latest IOS 17.1

I’ve had iPhone since the 4s & this is the first time I have experienced my iPhone battery health dropped to 99 in less than 2 months & the battery draining quicker than my old iPhone 13 Pro Max that had a battery life of 83% after having it for 2 years. I have always been careful with battery health & hardly charge to 100% and have gone 1-2 days until needing to charge my iPhone.

is anyone else having this issue? Apple hasn’t been very helpful and says my phone is fine even though the battery performance has been horrible even after the new update they claimed fixed the problem. I’m still having this problem & it’s coasting the health of my battery.

I shut off all background app refresh to see if it helps & so far it seems to be doing a little ok but the fact that the battery performance has been bad I’m very disappointed with apple.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 1:56 AM

iPhone 15 Pro Max delivered on 5th November. It’s 29th December and battery health at 98%. Been charging at 80% limit too. What is going on?

Similar questions

240 replies

Dec 4, 2023 11:35 AM in response to soitsjesse

I have iphone 15 which i purchased on 22 October and now on 5 December battery health is 98. What the **** is wrong with 15 series. Earlier battery health used to drop to 98-99 in one year. Looks like Apple wants everyone to upgrade the device every year or pay 9800₹ every year for batteries. I have decided this is my last iphone i will switch to samsung.

Nov 20, 2023 9:09 PM in response to soitsjesse

Yes i am facing this same issue with my IPHONE 15 recently i buy brand new iphone in 21 October and in November 17 my battery capacity is drain to 99% even i dont use my iphone very much and i dont play games and when i see this i am shocked and then i see my battery capacity on BATTERY STATS shortcut and after seeing this i am really very very shocked and feeling sad that showing my battery capacity 94% i dont know that this shortcut is showing real but many of people search on this shortcut now the main point is that APPLE doesn’t take action on it . Is it good for my brand new iPhone can I replace the battery??? i am very confused in this issue and i don’t know that our settings of iPhone battery capacity is real ?? or this shortcut battery capacity is real ?? Please help so i can take action on it 😓😤

Nov 16, 2023 1:07 PM in response to joe3066

A battery is a chemical device, and chemistry is generally pretty variable and uncertain, as well as being analog, not digital. Apple specs the battery capacity to remain above 80% for 500 full charge cycles, but that is a minimum requirement; there is no published maximum expected capacity. So sometimes batteries will perform much better than that minimum specification, and sometimes the change in maximum capacity won't be linear. There is no way to predict in advance what the real-life performance of any specific battery will be.

All iPhones have a specification for the battery. As an example, for the iPhone 14 Pro that is 3200 milliampere-hours (MaH). So the battery monitor is calibrated for 100% at that value. But there are variations in manufacturing, so some batteries will have less capacity, and some will have more. Suppose your battery had, say, 3520 MaH capacity (10% over standard). That would still show as 100% (even though it was actually 110%), but as it aged the health would stay at 100% until it fell below 3200 MaH. This would appear to you as if the battery had fabulous life, until suddenly it didn’t.

Nov 3, 2023 12:11 PM in response to soitsjesse

Separately, the Maximum Capacity only shows the whole percentage, so if it drops to 99.9% that will display as 99%. Most likely that is what you are seeing; a 0.1% drop.

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Once the capacity drops below 80%, or if there is a message in Battery Health that the battery is not meeting peak performance expectations, it’s time to change the battery→iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Jeff_88

Jeff_88 wrote:

I am having the same issue, I have contacted Apple support via messages and they mentioned there is an issue with my phone and asked me if I want a replacement phone to be sent and to charge me the shipping cost or to go to the Apple store. I said I go to the Apple store, and I went there the staff told me and the manager there was no problem with my phone i asked them why they gave me an option to come here, they replied because apple online has a different procedure. they wasted my time and very bad experience.

Your battery did not drop 1%. It probably dropped 0.1% from 100% to 99.9%, because the gauge in the phone just displays the whole number, not the fraction, so 99.9% appears as 99%. But any loss of capacity is NORMAL.

Batteries are consumables; they lose a little capacity every time they are discharged, then recharged. On average this works out to about a 1% loss for every 25 “full charge cycles”. As one example, if you charge the phone overnight, every night (and that is what you should do; it is a best practice), it starts the day at 100%. If it drops to 20% by the end of the day before you charge it again overnight that counts as 0.8 full charge cycles (20% to 100%), or about 24 full charge cycles per month of use. For this example your battery capacity will lose about 1% per month. Of course, if the end-of-day level is higher than 20% the capacity loss will be a little less, and if it is lower than 20%, or you charge it during the day, the capacity loss will be higher.

Once the capacity drops below 80%, or if there is a message in Battery Health that the battery is not meeting peak performance expectations, it’s time to change the battery→iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Jan 5, 2024 8:16 AM in response to Athibz

Athibz wrote:

I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve had my 15 Pro Max for just under 2 months and I’m now at 99% battery health. The first thing I do when I get a new iPhone is optimize it. I turned off nearly all non essential notifications in settings, turn off all but one app for background app refreshing and changed my email from push to manual and here we are, experiencing battery degradation at a level I’ve never seen in an iPhone at such an early stage of ownership.

I use my iPhone daily, I’m not a heavy user either so this is deeply concerning. Apples response to this isn’t acceptable, if the device is a month old and the battery drops to 99%, imagine what it will look like in 6 months.

it’s not alright to charge $1749 cdn for a device and have this level of degradation only a month in. That is not acceptable. I’ll definitely be heading to put a push on Apple to replace this or at least start a history on these reports.

As you didn’t read any of the thread you posted to either, I will repeat what has been posted a dozen or so times:

That is about where it is expected to be; on average an iPhone will lose about 1% a month, so 99% in 2 months is BETTER that expected.

Dec 4, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Nishant1995

Nishant1995 wrote:

I have iphone 15 which i purchased on 22 October and now on 5 December battery health is 98. What the **** is wrong with 15 series. Earlier battery health used to drop to 98-99 in one year. Looks like Apple wants everyone to upgrade the device every year or pay 9800₹ every year for batteries. I have decided this is my last iphone i will switch to samsung.

As always, you should purchase a product that best matches your needs. After you purchase your Samsung device, do keep an eye on the battery health. As they also employ the same laws of physics as Apple devices, the battery health will diminish with time and usage.

Dec 20, 2023 6:55 AM in response to smolzbite

smolzbite wrote:

Hey bud, how’s your battery health right now? Still in the process of accepting the state of my battery health. Minimum usage and it still dropped to 99% in 27 days from purchase date.

Most likely it dropped to 99.9% because battery health doesn’t include the fraction. But as a normal battery loses about 1% a month you are right on target.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Battery Health Dropped To 99% In Less Than A Month

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.