Out Variance in Custom Title Doesn't Animate?

Out variance in Custom Title (under Build In/Out) flops things around in an interesting way, but it doesn't appear to be animating properly. Instead of animating over time, it kicks in from nothing to complete from one frame tot he next. I've tried overriding this by using keyframes (which shouldn't be necessary), but that doesn't do the trick either.

I'm thinking this is a bug since a slider exists, but the result is all-or-nothing and In variance works as expected.

Running it through the Community in case anyone else is seeing an issue. FCPx v 10.6.10

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 10:42 AM

In Custom, there are two "behaviors": one is to sequence the properties from the beginning to the 2 second mark; the other is to sequence the properties from the 3 second mark to the end... except, the timing for the end animations STARTS at 3 seconds and ends at 5 seconds MINUS Out Duration... that is, the out animation will always start at 3* seconds and end at 3 seconds + out duration... everything at the end is "over" before the last frame of the title.

*The default project length of Custom is 5 seconds. There is a Build In Mandatory that sets the incoming animation at exactly 2 seconds no matter how long you set the Title in FCP. The Out sequencing is not governed by a Build Out marker which would set the animation timing — it will "time stretch" so that the animation will be determined by how long you make the title. (If you make the title shorter than 2 seconds, there will be NO out animation.)

I altered the timing of the title so that both the In and Out animations can go the entire length of the title (you set the timing in % of the length you set the title) and overlap! I removed the Build In Mandatory marker so In timing will depend on "time stretch".

You can find this altered version here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads (Custom - SC)

and there is a companion Title called Custom Paragraph - SC which sets up the text in Paragraph format (allows for tabs and other formatting features...) if you're interested. [SC stands for sight-creations which is my dba.]

These downloads are all free, so take a look around.

If you need help installing the templates: https://fcpxtemplates.com/installing-plugins-for-fcpx/

HTH

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2023 10:42 AM in response to Adam F

In Custom, there are two "behaviors": one is to sequence the properties from the beginning to the 2 second mark; the other is to sequence the properties from the 3 second mark to the end... except, the timing for the end animations STARTS at 3 seconds and ends at 5 seconds MINUS Out Duration... that is, the out animation will always start at 3* seconds and end at 3 seconds + out duration... everything at the end is "over" before the last frame of the title.

*The default project length of Custom is 5 seconds. There is a Build In Mandatory that sets the incoming animation at exactly 2 seconds no matter how long you set the Title in FCP. The Out sequencing is not governed by a Build Out marker which would set the animation timing — it will "time stretch" so that the animation will be determined by how long you make the title. (If you make the title shorter than 2 seconds, there will be NO out animation.)

I altered the timing of the title so that both the In and Out animations can go the entire length of the title (you set the timing in % of the length you set the title) and overlap! I removed the Build In Mandatory marker so In timing will depend on "time stretch".

You can find this altered version here:

https://fcpxtemplates.com/downloads (Custom - SC)

and there is a companion Title called Custom Paragraph - SC which sets up the text in Paragraph format (allows for tabs and other formatting features...) if you're interested. [SC stands for sight-creations which is my dba.]

These downloads are all free, so take a look around.

If you need help installing the templates: https://fcpxtemplates.com/installing-plugins-for-fcpx/

HTH

Nov 4, 2023 2:28 PM in response to Adam F

My best guess is that Apple's choices were out of expediency and not UX. There have been many Titles that have animations end before the title ends, etc., and I'm not sure Apple developers are all that expert in using the software they created. (*I have my reasons for believing this...)

Long story short: there are several default templates with "quirks" that give some end users problems. I generally don't use any of the default templates, so I find out about the problems when somebody asks about it here. If possible, I try to modify them in a manner that makes them more user friendly. (It's good practice!)

Thanks for the sub!

Out Variance in Custom Title Doesn't Animate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.