Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

After iOS 17 itunes won't sync all songs to iphone 13

I use my Music Library as an mp3 player - I do not subscribe to Apple Music. All my music is stored on my PC, and I sync it to my iphone 13 using itunes. After I updated my iphone to ios 17, some of the songs stopped syncing. I have 6600+ songs in the library in itunes, and even though I have sync entire library checked, it will only sync 1100 of them. It has removed all the rest from the iphone. The sync worked fine in ios 16. I've reinstalled the Music App, and tried just syncing select playlists in itunes, and it still doesn't sync all songs. All the songs are fine in itunes on the PC, but I can't get them to sync with the Music app anymore. ITunes is fully updated, as is my phone.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2024 5:05 PM

There is indeed an issue with iOS 17. We are hoping for an update to correct the issue.

In the meantime, when the sync locks up, on your iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot and turn off "Allow Others to Join", wait about 30 seconds and turn it back on. The sync should then resume.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2024 5:05 PM in response to irishleeriley

There is indeed an issue with iOS 17. We are hoping for an update to correct the issue.

In the meantime, when the sync locks up, on your iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot and turn off "Allow Others to Join", wait about 30 seconds and turn it back on. The sync should then resume.

Apr 12, 2024 1:18 PM in response to unripe_apple

I really dont think apple has any interest in fixing the problem. I have a sneaking suspicion these "glitches" are by design & apple doesnt want you to use your own downloaded music sources but want to force you to buy all your music from the itunes store, (apple music) which will work with the new ios. This may be the true evil intent by apple, since the problem seems to worsen with each new update. That being said, we use iphone 8 and iphone 14 in our family. I found that most, if not all the problems resolved after completely restoring our iphones to factory settings via itunes. Just make sure everything is backed up to your computer with itunes or in your icloud account. When you reset the iphone, everything will be wiped clean and then will reload everything from your backup without losing anything. Its a hassle and the whole process may take a couple of hours, but this (has so far) fixed all the problems on our iphone 8 and most, if not all the problems on my iphone 14. I anticipate it will work on other iphone models as well.

Jan 14, 2024 5:29 PM in response to irishleeriley

I have the same problem and I'm using MacOS 14. I've just spend two and a half hours with support and even spoke with TWO supervisors. It was in vain. They even told me that it was because it wasn't music bought on Apple Music (which doesn't explain why some tracks did sync with the phone since NONE of my music is from Apple). I hope this gets fixed.

Apr 12, 2024 5:48 AM in response to Colourful_coincidence

SO ANGRY

Just spent 5 hours trying to get my music onto iPhone12 without success, can only copy individual songs, not albums or playlists.

Finally found these posts: so this has been an issue since January? it is now mid April and this has still not been fixed?

outrageous

many other problems with ios 17: i.e. keyboard click sometimes lags, sometimes double clicks: has also been an issue it seems since day 1 on MANY phones and also NOT FIXED.

APPLE STOP INTRODUCING NEW FEATURES THAT NOBODY WANTS WHILE DESTROYING THE EXISTING ONES THAT ARE ESSENTIAL

Jan 21, 2024 12:58 PM in response to irishleeriley

I work as a fitness instructor. Most of my music is supplied by Les Mills. I have to download it from their portal. Then add to my phone via iTunes. Just like the OP I only use my phone as an mp3 player and do not subscribe to Apple Music. All of my class playlists (which I curated on my phone) have been 'destroyed'. Playlists that I have made on my laptop ENTIRELY of music which is physically on my laptop will only partially sync to my phone. This is absolutely ridiculous. These playlists are important - they are carefully curated for each fitness class that I teach. I cannot do my job because of this ridiculous 'bug'. APPLE YOUR SUCCESS CAME FROM YOUR MUSIC PLAYER. PLEASE SORT THIS OUT ASAP.

Jan 21, 2024 1:06 PM in response to Colourful_coincidence

I should just add, by way of example. Body Pump 127 has 14 tracks in the album. They are all downloaded and added to my iTunes on a windows pc. 13 of the 14 tracks will sync to my phone. 13 of the 14. WTF? I've ticked and unticked and synced and re-synched it so many times. I will try my old ipad next. This is a diabolical waste of my time.

Apr 28, 2024 8:34 AM in response to irishleeriley

This is complete BS!?!? Apple is playing big brother here trying to control where our music comes from. I have a 14, I updated iTunes on my pc and updated my phone to the latest. Then tried to sync my playlists. iTunes has actually been doing this to me for years. I would have to use a windows program to save the song as a new file and the new file would copy. In the past few years when some songs wouldn’t copy, the sync used to show the song faded out in the playlist and when I selected it, it would tell me the song wasn’t available in my region. Now it doesn’t even do that, it shows the song like it was transferred in the playlist but skips it entirely without any notification. Last week the sync copied half the songs, songs that were already in there from years ago and just days prior. So this weekend I tried the sync again and it took away 20 more songs. Songs that made it through the sync a week ago…? Come on Apple, fix the issue! You’re gonna lose customers. Right now I'm thinking I’m personally not going to be purchasing another iPhone and I’ve owned an iPhone from the start. I’m tired of dealing with this issue every time I sync.

After iOS 17 itunes won't sync all songs to iphone 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.