Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I access my hard drive on my Mac?

I'm a new Mac user. The hard drive used to be listed under locations, but I had to have my Mac serviced a few months ago and it no longer is there. My content is stored in the cloud (OneDrive and DropBox), so I didn't pay attention to it. Now I would like to create a local set of files, but I don't know how to open and access the local hard drive.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2023 5:09 PM

Re: How do I access my hard drive on my Mac?

Am not sure which MacOS version you are using, so you may want to see if this works for you:

Try opening a "New Finder window", and looking for "MacIntosh HD" in the sidebar.

If it doesn't appear there, type "MacIntosh HD" in the search field in that Finder window.

You can then "drag" the folder that appears into the sidebar for easy access.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2023 5:09 PM in response to MysMariah

Re: How do I access my hard drive on my Mac?

Am not sure which MacOS version you are using, so you may want to see if this works for you:

Try opening a "New Finder window", and looking for "MacIntosh HD" in the sidebar.

If it doesn't appear there, type "MacIntosh HD" in the search field in that Finder window.

You can then "drag" the folder that appears into the sidebar for easy access.

Nov 5, 2023 5:56 PM in response to MysMariah

... I had to have my Mac serviced a few months ago...

Frankly, I would start with the shop that serviced your computer to get that function restored.

Even if the HD does not show on the Desktop, it should show in a Finder window sidebar:

To see if the shop did not restore Finder settings that once showed your HD, click on a blank area on your Desktop until the upper left corner of the menubar shows "Finder":

Under Finder, select "Preferences" to get this:

Make sure the "Hard disks" box is checked as in the image. That will put the HD icon back on your Desktop.

How do I access my hard drive on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.