Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

No service issue in iPhone after updating to iOS 15.8

My husband’s iPhone 7 updated to 15.8 and worked fine in the A.M. and midday he received an error message saying cellular data not connected, or something like that. He wasn’t able to make calls or send messages after that. Once home, he was able to send and receive iPhone texts, but still the phone is searching for service. He called iPhone tech support and they said he’d have to go into the store to have them check the phone. I wonder if the SIM card is fried! Thoughts on the update being an issue, I’ve read other older model iPhones like 5 & 7 both, having the same issues but with other updates and not this specific update.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 6:49 PM

I thought I was alone. On my iPhone 6s plus, I had the cellular antenna replaced but it didn’t fixed the issue. Tried the sim on other iPhone devices, it works fine. But on my iPhone 6s Plus, I cannot even call and text! This happened when I updated it to iOS 15.8. I hope they will fix this problem! This phone is old but it still works fine as a spare phone. Hopefully, Apple won’t turn their heads about this issue.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 6:49 PM in response to MLPRangerz520

I thought I was alone. On my iPhone 6s plus, I had the cellular antenna replaced but it didn’t fixed the issue. Tried the sim on other iPhone devices, it works fine. But on my iPhone 6s Plus, I cannot even call and text! This happened when I updated it to iOS 15.8. I hope they will fix this problem! This phone is old but it still works fine as a spare phone. Hopefully, Apple won’t turn their heads about this issue.

Dec 26, 2023 2:22 PM in response to MLPRangerz520

Tagging onto this thread. Were there any resolutions? My son (6splus) phone stopped using data, only sporadically works on cell, and won't send videos when on wifi even.

Worked fine until this latest update. Excluding the update, phone is fine on Mint mobile.

we don't have $$ for an update, and the phone previously worked fine. Can we uninstall the upgrade since it nerfed his phone?

Nov 14, 2023 4:56 PM in response to MLPRangerz520

I have similar issues. Since 15.8 update On iPhone 7 I can’t connect to the internet. Spent literally all day on the phone with my internet provider who then referred me to Apple support. They tried hard to help but still no solution. Said call ISP back or take it to Apple store (an hour away). I’ve also tried every troubleshooting suggestions on my own. My TV and all other devices connect just fine. Soo, update absolutely suspect. I can’t keep using all my mobile data and I can’t afford a new phone. Is this what they are trying to push? Anyone else have internet issues? Were they solved?

Nov 23, 2023 2:06 PM in response to jkirk77

I have a 7+ and since the update I can’t answer calls. The ring tone changes when it rings as well. When I dial out nothing happens. Siri doesn’t work at all either! My phone was working fine before the update and now it’s totally screwed up! I haven’t had the time to take it to the Apple store either!

I tried reinserting my sims card, but it did nothing!

Nov 6, 2023 4:10 AM in response to MLPRangerz520

Troubleshooting - iPhone 7 

Remove and reinsert the SIM card.

If it doesn't help visit your carrier, maybe the SIM card is damaged, ask for a replaced (new) card. Normally it is free.

Ask also to check if the SIM tray is bent, as even a tiny misalignment can cause the SIM card to not fully connect with the internal contacts in your iPhone.

See these Apple articles below:

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad

Update your network provider settings manually on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart

If you see a Cellular, Ultra Wideband, or Apple Pay Issue message after an iOS update or restart - Apple Support

iPhone 7 is > 7 years old, which also affects the battery life. The hardware remains old, so does the battery.

If it is still possible, have the battery replaced.

The battery can be replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

See this Apple article: iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

If you are going to replace the battery, see -> Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service

Get your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ready for service - Apple Support

The price is approx $ 79.

If you want to know exactly, call Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

or 

call 1-800-MY-APPLE

note:

You have to decide for yourself whether it is still worth having the battery replaced.

Considering a newer type of iPhone?

Read this before you buy a newer type iPhone.

Dec 7, 2023 4:16 AM in response to MLPRangerz520

My SE (1gen) stopped working as Personal hotspot after update to 15.8. After switching hotspot on, non of devices sees SE in WiFi network list. There is also a bug in main menu and even no possibility to change the pass to your own. Neither reboot nor reset helps. As I was using my old SE as a hotspot for Mac and it's really disgusting, taking into consideration that Apple has recently included SE in the list of not supported devices. And of cause no possibility to downgrade (((

Jan 24, 2024 9:12 PM in response to MLPRangerz520

Jenn Jenn. We went through that troubleshooting advice list step by step and the SIM card is the one that triggered it to function again on data services. Unfortunately since the “update” the data services have taken a big hit and messages, images, and notifications (don’t understand why that was affected but it is) only work sporadically. Bummer since the phone worked perfectly fine until apples required update.

Nov 6, 2023 9:10 AM in response to MLPRangerz520

He called iPhone tech support and they said he’d have to go into the store to have them check the phone.

If the problem persists, visit an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Reseller in your region for assistance to diagnose the problem.

And they could offer a possible solution.

(perhaps) You will first have to make an appointment due to the pandemic.

See: Contact Apple for support and service

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

No service issue in iPhone after updating to iOS 15.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.