open MacBook from Apple Watch

Opening my MacBook with Apple Watch doesn't seem to work if MacBook is on same network, but via cat5 vs. wifi.

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 6:43 AM

A-VS wrote:

I thought this would do it and immediately changed the order to make Wifi first; however, it didn't work.
Note: This is when my MacBook is closed, connected to Ethernet, and to two secondary monitors. As soon as I disconnect and use the MacBook on WiFi only, TouchID works.

Either of my two Macs (16" Intel i9 and 16" M1 Pro) unlock with my Apple Watch when used open or in clamshell mode, whether connected to the internet via WiFi or via the ethernet cable attached to my Stone Pro dock.

I have had occasions where it doesn't work right after a MacOS update. For me, signing out of my Apple ID then signing back on (on the Mac) corrected it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 6:43 AM in response to A-VS

A-VS wrote:

I thought this would do it and immediately changed the order to make Wifi first; however, it didn't work.
Note: This is when my MacBook is closed, connected to Ethernet, and to two secondary monitors. As soon as I disconnect and use the MacBook on WiFi only, TouchID works.

Either of my two Macs (16" Intel i9 and 16" M1 Pro) unlock with my Apple Watch when used open or in clamshell mode, whether connected to the internet via WiFi or via the ethernet cable attached to my Stone Pro dock.

I have had occasions where it doesn't work right after a MacOS update. For me, signing out of my Apple ID then signing back on (on the Mac) corrected it.

open MacBook from Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.