Clarification Needed on iCloud Music Library Uploads vs. Apple Digital Masters

I need help understanding the nature of the files in my iCloud Music Library. I've uploaded a CD that I personally ripped to my iCloud, but when I view the album on my iPhone within Apple Music and it shows as "Apple Digital Master." I am looking to clarify if the files I'm streaming are the ones I uploaded or if they have been replaced by Apple's high-quality digital masters. Can someone explain how Apple Music handles personal uploads versus their own masters and how to identify which version I am listening to?

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 2:18 PM

Just the way it is. The matching algorithm isn’t perfect. Some get matched some get uploaded on the same album almost all the time (especially in older releases). Glad I was able to figure out what caused the labeling. We see the same thing with Dolby Atmos releases that don’t get the tag unless every track is Dolby Atmos and there are often bonus tracks etc. that are not so the whole album loses the badge.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 2:18 PM in response to cheststripe

Just the way it is. The matching algorithm isn’t perfect. Some get matched some get uploaded on the same album almost all the time (especially in older releases). Glad I was able to figure out what caused the labeling. We see the same thing with Dolby Atmos releases that don’t get the tag unless every track is Dolby Atmos and there are often bonus tracks etc. that are not so the whole album loses the badge.

Clarification Needed on iCloud Music Library Uploads vs. Apple Digital Masters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.