Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

opened phishing file - is my iPhone infected with a virus?

Hi there - I opened a file purporting to be an invoice - I didn't recognise the company or transaction and looked up the company that the invoice is supposed to be from and it turns out to be a well known scam. As I opened the file which says it is a pdf (but who knows?) is my iPhone now infected with a virus?

I have deleted my banking app, contacted my bank and got a manual block on my accounts just incase - do I need to get my phone cleaned by a professional? If so, how do I know if a local repair/virus cleaner company is reputable?

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 10:09 AM

No. I non-jailbroken iPhone is nearly impossible to infect with anything.

The only way anything unwanted could have happened is if you went to any website the file linked to, or called a number on the PDF, and then willingly gave them personal information.

If you didn't do that, then you don't need to do anything other than throw the garbage email or message away. Do not in any way call or otherwise contact the scammers. Not even just to rant at them. All that will do is confirm a live address and you'll get even more scams directed your way.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 10:09 AM in response to medievalist!

No. I non-jailbroken iPhone is nearly impossible to infect with anything.

The only way anything unwanted could have happened is if you went to any website the file linked to, or called a number on the PDF, and then willingly gave them personal information.

If you didn't do that, then you don't need to do anything other than throw the garbage email or message away. Do not in any way call or otherwise contact the scammers. Not even just to rant at them. All that will do is confirm a live address and you'll get even more scams directed your way.

opened phishing file - is my iPhone infected with a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.