Albums in Music Randomly Splitting After ios 17 Update

After the ios 17 update, albums in my music randomly started splitting themselves into multiple albums. For example, it will appear in my music that I have 4 copies of Ed Sheeran's "X" album. However, when opened, each album only contains a few songs from the whole album. As these are albums that I purchased from the iTunes store, I tried deleting them and redownloading it. When the album was redownloaded, it was once again split into multiple parts.

So far, the only way I have found to condense the split albums back into one is to delete the album from my iPhone, connect my phone to my computer, and manually add the album back to my phone from iTunes. It is important to note: when I originally bought these albums from the iTunes store, they downloaded as one album. It was only recently that they randomly split themselves into multiple parts. While it is - all things considered - a minor issue, it is also admittedly very annoying and at times inconvenient.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, was there a particular fix that you found? It seems to me that redownloading the music from the iTunes store isn't going to fix the problem, and having to delete and then add each album back to my phone via iTunes on my computer is very tedious. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2023 7:19 PM

Just updated to iOS 17.2. Problem still exists. Apple, this is terrible. Fix this.

Similar questions

51 replies

Dec 23, 2023 10:39 AM in response to tignorjl41

Just got a new iPhone, purchased an album - and all previous purchases suddenly and randomly split up. Infuriating. Get a grip Apple, a real turn-off for buying albums on Apple ITunes store. Might as well stick with Spotify. Albums, going back years, suddenly split with the new iPhone and it’s 17.1.1 is areal deterrent to buy any more albums in iTunes. If not fixed soon, I shan’t be buying albums again in iTunes - end of that era.

Jan 3, 2024 6:37 AM in response to tignorjl41

So I am unsure whether the most recent update fixed this or not. I did find that in iTunes on my computer, for some reason, certain songs were removing the album artist of their own accord. I had to tediously find and correct this for every song that did this on its own. Keep in mind that I did not purchase my music from Apple. I ripped from CDs purchased externally and then tediously entered ALL information myself to make sure it all matched. Why it suddenly removed information that I personally put in, I have no idea. I had to do this for four out of ten albums that I have on my phone. Do better Apple. Music shouldn't remove information that is personally and tediously put in by the user all on its own.

If you are still experiencing this issue, however, here are the steps to fix it:

1. Plug your phone into a computer and allow it to sync to iTunes.
  2. Identify which songs are split from the main album on your phone and locate those same songs in iTunes.
  3. Edit each one's song info to make the album artist match the main album.
  4. Completely close Apple music on your phone.
  5. Re sync music to phone.

Feb 2, 2024 10:29 AM in response to tignorjl41

safe bet the fine folks at Apple don't care how ridiculous this....hhhhmmmm Wonder if you stream the same album does this issue exist? Safe bet it doesn't....no implications of a captive market here folks...now move along....move along to streaming your music that is...the cult has spoken now comply w it.....this album is not split on the streaming service that comes w my phone plan.....shocking.....

Jan 11, 2024 2:40 PM in response to tignorjl41

this happened to me today with an album I bought two months ago. iTunes Store currently says I have purchased the songs on the album but it will not let me download any of them. It will also only let me listen to the previews of each song in store. Did this happen to you as well or is this a new issue? When I get home from work I will manually add the album back but I am really disappointed that I am being kept from music I have purchased. Might be time to get a 3rd party mp3 again

Albums in Music Randomly Splitting After ios 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.