Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X 10.8 System Overload

I updated Logic Pro X from version 10.7.9 (which was great) to the new version 10.8.

Now I can't work due to repeated System Overload messages every minute.

This happens in projects that did not cause any problems when opened with the old version of Logic.

I also tried to downgrade but now even the previous version gives me Overload problems.

I tried resetting everything, throwing away the preferences, I did a full audio reset of all the plug-ins, tried to increase the I/O buffer size, the multithreading options, nothing helped to solve the problem.

Where is all the power that Apple promised me when I spent more than 5k USD on my new 16" MacBook Pro M1?

Now I feel like I have an Intel i5!!!

Some more details about my issue:

Macbook Pro M1 Pro 16", 32G RAM, 4TB SSD

MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1

Logic Pro X 10.8

Instruments who could cause the issue:

Serum 1.3.6.8

Sylenth 3.0.73

Spire 1.5.16

Kontakt 7.6.1

My project has 14 instrument tracks (which never all play at the same time) out of a total of 38 tracks.

With the old Logic I could also open more than 30 instruments without having any Overload.

When the song is playing the processing meter does not indicate any risk of overload and the processing threads are around 25%, suddenly a CPU peak occurs and the system goes into Overload.

Downgrading back to the Logic version 10.7.9 (who was working great before the update) is now also affected by System Overload issues.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 2:09 PM

This is insane I have the same problem. It never was an issue in previous version and now I can't work. Thanks apple.

18 replies

Jan 16, 2024 10:17 AM in response to _Maximilian_

Not sure if you looked at the past messages on this thread. But last Nov It was found to be an issue with Kontakt 7.6.1 It was causing the system overload issue for which this thread was started. I am on Ventura and hit the issue anfter upgrading to logic 10.8. And upgrading kontakt to its latest version fixed the issue for the user that started this thread and worked for me as well. Wondering if you have that a try?

best of luck

Nov 14, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Markino

I have a MacBook Pro m2cmax with 64 gb ram and 4 terabyte hard drive purchased only 10 months ago.

I upgraded the operating system to Ventura 13.6.2 in order to upgrade logic to 10.8.

The result is that I am completely stuck! Logic no longer works. Every Logic document crashes before I can listen to even a single note!

Untenable situation!

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 16, 2024 1:00 PM in response to nik3000

In my case, after a few days, I was able to solve the various problems encountered in Logic 10.8. The conflict stemmed from my Akai MPC One driver, which I had to trash; I haven't tried reinstalling it yet since I use a Motu sound card, and now everything works. Sooner or later, however, I will try to reconnect my MPC One as well hoping that it will not create conflicts with Logic 10.8 again.I am not a technician so I went by trial and error and in my case I solved it by excluding the Akai drivers.

Nov 9, 2023 3:18 PM in response to Markino

Been having the same issue over the last few days since upgrading to logic 10.8. I had to open an old project and it wouldn't play more than 15 to 20 sec and it would over load. I disabled all Plugins and it stopped overloading. I tried to figure out which plugin it was by disabling them all 1 by 1 but couldn't find the particular plugin?? I now have 2 versions of the same project 1 with plugins and the other with the plugins removed. The latter plays fine but the one with plugins overloads. If anyone figures out the particular plugin please share.

Thanks

Nov 10, 2023 8:21 AM in response to Markino

The issue is Sonoma. It’s optimized for the M2-M3 but more the M2. I had similar issues after I upgraded from Monterey.

I reinstalled Monterey & had no issues since. Monterey is optimized for M1-M2 but mainly M1 macs.

Kontakt doesn’t like the latest update of Logic.

My recommendation is to roll back to Monterey & reinstall the previous version of Logic then update to Ventura from there if you need Ventura.

Nov 10, 2023 9:02 AM in response to street2k

Hey thanks for the insight but I’m running a m2 pro Mac book pro 14” on 13.6 which I think is called venture? It been running great in the year or so I’ve had it never once over loading even though I run it with a low buffer. Since upgrade to logic 10.8 in the last few days it overloads multiple times a day. Was so bad I had cancel a session with a client as no matter what I set the buffer to it would play a few sec and over load even though the activity monitor show no real big spike in the cpu?

loving some of the new features in logic 10.8 but I really regret upgrading to it.

Nov 11, 2023 12:06 PM in response to Markino

I managed to isolate the problem, it wasn't Logic but Kontakt 7.6.1 which I had updated at the same time.

Now I have installed the version 7.7.0 and everything works as before and better than before!

I apologize to Apple, this time Logic wasn't guilty.

I strongly advise anyone who has Overload problems with Logic 10.8 to check all the third-party plug-ins one by one, it's very likely that the solution of the problem is there.

Nov 18, 2023 9:13 PM in response to AlexSaheli

I'm not experiencing any major problem now, everything works smooth but I feel (is just a feeling) this version is slower than the previous one.

By the way, every time I update Logic I always do a total preferences reset and a plug-ins rescan, this could help a lot in case of problems so I really suggest everyone to do so.

Nov 18, 2023 9:20 PM in response to nik3000

Why Ventura and not Sonoma? Since you have the courage to update, better do it altogether (just kidding).

Jokes aside I think Sonoma is much better than Ventura.

Remember that every time you update Logic it is a good idea to delete the preferences and rescan all the plug-ins.

Everything is working perfectly for me at the moment.

Logic 10.8, MacOS 14.1.1 MBP16" M1 Pro 2021

Dec 26, 2023 4:32 PM in response to Markino

Same issue. Logic 10.8 on a 2018 Mac Mini with OS 13.6.1. Haven't upgraded to Sonoma, but shouldn't have to in order to use this Application. Logic Pro is entirely unstable with panics, pops, clicks, etc. And here I was thinking I'd avoid the hassle of Pro Tools compatibility and update issues by using Logic...

Switched back to Reaper because this has caused me so much wasted time in sessions. Maybe I'll come back to this eventually, but glad I'm not alone.

Logic Pro X 10.8 System Overload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.