Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Text alert sound not working

On my iPhone 13 Pro Max, running iOS 17.0.3, the text alert sound stopped working. The phone is not on silent. The volume is turned up. When I go into settings and select the text alert sound, the sound plays. But when texts come in, there is no sound. Any ideas?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 9:57 PM

jla930 Said:

"Text alert sound not working: On my iPhone 13 Pro Max, running iOS 17.0.3, the text alert sound stopped working. The phone is not on silent. The volume is turned up. When I go into settings and select the text alert sound, the sound plays. But when texts come in, there is no sound. Any ideas?"

-------

Troubleshooting No Text Alert Sound:

Disable Do Not Disturb:

1. Open: Control Center (Swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen).
  2. Tap: Focus
  3. Tap: Do Not Disturb (so that it is greyed-out)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 9:57 PM in response to jla930

jla930 Said:

"Text alert sound not working: On my iPhone 13 Pro Max, running iOS 17.0.3, the text alert sound stopped working. The phone is not on silent. The volume is turned up. When I go into settings and select the text alert sound, the sound plays. But when texts come in, there is no sound. Any ideas?"

-------

Troubleshooting No Text Alert Sound:

Disable Do Not Disturb:

1. Open: Control Center (Swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen).
  2. Tap: Focus
  3. Tap: Do Not Disturb (so that it is greyed-out)

Nov 9, 2023 10:24 PM in response to jla930

jla930 Said:

"TheLittles, this is interesting. I turned Do Not Disturb on and off a few times, and now I’m getting sound. Thank you."

-------

You are welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting!

Report this to Apple:

This is interesting. You should not have to disable and then enable DNDS multiple times. So, this sees to be a bug.

Do your Part: Report this to AppleApple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what should be looked at. Apple will know nothing of this occurrence, if you don't report it to this.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Include: Notes on troubleshooting this in "Comments"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Text alert sound not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.