iPhone is connected to WiFi but uses only mobile data (WiFi Assist is OFF)

Hello! I have an issue with my iPhone lately that seems to be connected to my WiFi network but uses mobile data.

As you can see from the photo below, in the phone's WiFi settings, it looks as if it is connected to my WiFi router (SlowHorses), but on the top right corner the signal indicates that it uses my carrier's data. If i turn the mobile data off, no WiFi icon appears and I have no access to internet.

As I have read in my search, WiFi assist is a setting that affects that kind of behaviour, so I have this off. Still the problem remains and my phone shows as connected to WiFi but uses carrier data.

Every other device in my home is running perfectly on my WiFi, including my AppleTV and iPad that can connect to my router.

Can anyone suggest a solution, since this is a problem that seems to disrupt other devices such as my HomePod Minis and other smart devices?

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 12:29 AM

UPDATE: I have found a solution browsing though YouTube videos about this issue and came across the following solution.

Go to General > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and turn off Networking & Wireless. Restart your iPhone and following the same path of settings, turn Networking & Wireless back on.

This triggers a type of "reboot" for any network setting without an actual reset and for the moment, one week after I've done this, my phone is connecting properly to my WiFi.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2023 12:29 AM in response to The Figurehead

UPDATE: I have found a solution browsing though YouTube videos about this issue and came across the following solution.

Go to General > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and turn off Networking & Wireless. Restart your iPhone and following the same path of settings, turn Networking & Wireless back on.

This triggers a type of "reboot" for any network setting without an actual reset and for the moment, one week after I've done this, my phone is connecting properly to my WiFi.

iPhone is connected to WiFi but uses only mobile data (WiFi Assist is OFF)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.