You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro Updated to iOS 17.1.1 Issue - No SIM Available/SIM Failure, Settings > Celluar - Cannot Add/Remove eSIM. No Mobile/Data Service.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro and updated it to iOS 17.1.1 and after it installed, the device rebooted and after getting on the home screen it displayed two errors. First one that popped up, "No SIM Available" and the second right after clicking OK, was the "SIM Failure" error. It also displayed No SIM on the antenna bar and then later SOS Only.

At first I thought maybe the phone needed to be restarted again or to have the airplane mode turned on and off, like what I had to do on a previous update for 17.1. So then I did this: turn on and off airplane mode, that still did not work, I rebooted the phone - did not work, and then I went to reset my network settings and still the same error "No SIM Available" and "SIM Failure."

I have been on Visible for several years and my iPhone 11 Pro has been using an eSIM on it for almost a year, and it has been working flawless. So, I went to “Settings > Cellular” to check why the “No SIM Available/SIM Failure” is showing up, and to my surprise there was no eSIM. Just a greyed out window, where I cannot tap to remove/add eSIM manually or to get any cellular service information.

I contacted my carrier, Visible to see if they could help me, but after being through multiple troubleshooting via Live Chat and also being escalated to their tech support team. They finally told me that my iPhone 11 Pro IS NOT compatible with eSIM which is weird, because I have always been on eSIM with this phone for almost a year with them and it has worked just fine with their service until this 17.1.1 update. After several live chat agents and being escalated to multiple support team in the past 48 hours, this is what they emailed me a few hours ago:

“Your case is now resolved! We regret to inform you that your current device is not compatible with eSIM. Thank you.”

I guess the next logical step with my carrier is to request a physical SIM card to install on the iPhone 11 Pro and see if that would at least get my mobile/data service back online.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with their iPhone after installing the 17.1.1 update? Were you able to resolve the issue and how? Thanks in advance.

I’ve attached screenshots below to help show what my issue is. It includes the model iPhone 11 Pro, iOS version, and the errors I’ve got from both the iPhone and Visible App when I tried to scan the eSIM QR

Code from Visible, etc.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 8:57 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Dec 23, 2023 6:23 AM in response to N186MR

Just updated to 17.2.1 on my Amazon refurbished iphone11, which I’ve owned for over a year. The phone now only operates in SOS mode. I’m getting by FaceTiming everyone I need to contact. They can only Facetime me, if they are aware.The eSIM information is gone and my old Cricket carrier information appears. No network. I can’t access my Visible account because the needed confirmation code requires SERVICE! Two days before Christmas and I can’t be contacted. The bot is worthless and I have yet to discover a help number. Buyer Beware! Visible does not offer phone help via an 800 number.

Nov 16, 2023 1:21 PM in response to harisabtulibur

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with something similar on your phone, please let me know if you find a solution for it.

I seriously thought I was the only one having this issue. I've been with over a dozen support agents with my carrier to get the eSIM to work and it just doesn't want to take on the phone. There still is no option for me to "add eSIM" and I don't see the "Set Up Cellular" option under the "Settings > Cellular" panel.

I contacted Amazon customer support as I had purchased this as a "Renewed Premium" through them with tech support. After several attempts of the same troubleshooting the phone with their tech support, still no luck.

They offered me a refund for returning the phone as they deemed the device defective and issued me a return label. So I went ahead and returned the iPhone to Amazon and it may take up to 30 days to get the refund issued.

I asked why so long? They have to receive the item at their Amazon fulfillment center, then they ship it to Apple to authenticate, and then Apple will send it back to Amazon to process. So each step could take maybe a few days to a week.

Nov 16, 2023 1:39 PM in response to N186MR

I think it was happen about bug in iOS 17.1.1 so let developer iphone release fix bug on 17.1.2

And also, my iphone 12 it will be fine on iOS 16, and i was contact seller same with your situation, they offered me to return my device. So until fix on 17.1.2 or 17.2.0 final release maybe i still waiting. And if still no work, i do downgrade from iOS 17 to iOS 16.

Nov 16, 2023 2:37 PM in response to harisabtulibur

Yeah I think it's definitely a bug that's caused it. Hopefully the developers would see this thread and have it fixed on 17.1.2.

I was thinking about downgrading back to 16 or 17.1 when the iPhone 11 Pro was working, but I was told by my carrier that they won't support my device if it is not on the latest firmware and they do not recommend me downgrading to previous iOS.

This was the last thing I had expected from an iOS update. That I would lose cell service and that iut would delete/remove my eSIM after the reboot after install, and then have ability to add the service back on the device.

I already returned the phone to the seller after contacting them since they offered a refund and then I'll get a replacement iPhone sometime. I hope by the time I get the replacement phone or refund, they will already issue a fix for the iOS they release. I also ordered a physical SIM so when I get a replacement phone I'll try using the pSIM vs. eSIM option if the bug persists.

Nov 20, 2023 11:41 AM in response to stefanija161

Unfortunately, the problem is not resolved. Are you also getting a SIM Failure error or No SIM Available? Also, does your iPhone recognize your physical sim card but would not let you activate the service or connect to your carrier?

My physical sim card I ordered from my carrier didn't come in time so I never got a chance to see if that would work for me. I wish it arrived days before the window for me to return it for a refund closed.

I am waiting on another iPhone to arrive today and hopefully it won't have iOS 17.1.1 installed on it and I can get service back on my phone.

Nov 24, 2023 3:11 AM in response to N186MR

Resolved!

Similarly, the upgrade to 17.1.1 on my SE seemingly blew out my e-sim (AT&T) setting and changed default to my physical sim (T-Mobile). Couldn’t locate my tel number, didn’t receive texts, and calls to the number didn’t go thru.

I went to Settings/Cellular/ on my iPhone and had to manually turn on my e-sim and make it my default. Then restarted my phone. Seems to be working now (am getting calls and texts) altho I notice my screen indicates I’m using AT&T WiFi which is unusual in my house. Will see if it uses cellular when I go anywhere else. Hope this helps.

iPhone 11 Pro Updated to iOS 17.1.1 Issue - No SIM Available/SIM Failure, Settings > Celluar - Cannot Add/Remove eSIM. No Mobile/Data Service.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.