Power menu now displayed whenever Apple TV is used

Not a huge deal but I'm just wondering why the menu is now always displayed when I first use the Apple TV each day. I then have to back out of it to get to whatever I was watching or the main menu. I'd rather it was like before.

OLED77C9PUB,

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 1:37 AM

I have the exact same issue. Not a big problem, but kind of annoying.

Did you manage to fix it?

Thanks!

13 replies

Mar 10, 2024 10:25 AM in response to Tanquen2

Exactly the same behaviour for me, since a software update late last year. Every time I shut down the Apple TV, next time I start, it has this menu up. When I back out of the menu, it reappears. Second time I back out, it doesn't reappear. This is super-annoying. Since it normally first asks to confirm the user profile, requiring a click, I have accidentally turned the device off several times when it pops this annoying menu up instead. I practically never saw it before, as I usually shut down by holding the power button, as recommended.

I have the Apple TV model A2169 (64GB), running tvOS 17.3 (21K646). It never did this before the aforementioned software update. Definitely a bug.

***Apple please take note!

Nov 11, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Urquhart1244

It's the newest Apple 4k TV box. I use a universal remote and the Apple TV I have before this and this one, it never did this until maybe a month ago. It's not full screen. It's a pop-up showing various settings with a large power button etc. In the past, it may have just shown the time I don't really remember seeing it. But now whenever it wakes up it has that menu and then I have to back out of it.

Nov 12, 2023 7:58 AM in response to Tanquen2

Nothing's changed in the remote for ages. I think something's up with the Apple TV. I use a number of apps but only the Amazon prime app or the Paramount Plus I forget, when navigating with the direction keys randomly when you move down it'll move down multiple instances. But this behavior is seen nowhere else on the device. It is always been the case in the past that when you hit an arrow, left arrow, right up down, etc. It's always one instance of that.

Now this morning when backing out of the menu that's displayed whenever it wakes up it opened the menu again right away. Then I hit the back button one more time and then it went away for good.

I can try testing with the supplied remote and see if the behavior changes. I know I tested it with the multiple direction selections inside particular apps and it did not change the behavior.

Feb 23, 2024 3:15 AM in response to Tanquen2

I had this issue too. The control center was opened after turning on the Apple TV. To me it seems as it is caused when a wake up signal is sent via HDMI CEC to the Apple TV while the Apple TV is already powered on.

I use a universal remote and the Apple TV is connected to a Yamaha receiver. In my setup the remote would turn on the TV, receiver and the Apple TV and then activate a so called "scene" on the receiver, that would cause the wake up signal on the HDMI. Since at that point the Apple TV was already powered up, the (then unnecessary) wake up signal caused the control center to open.

I changed the macro of the universal remote to not activate that scene. Thankfully, the Apple TV will still power on (actually I am not sure how this is done, since the remote is IR only, but I won't complain ;) ) and the additional wake up is not sent any more. Therefore, the control center is not opened after turning everything on.

I think this behavior of the Apple TV is a bit strange. I don't know if this is on purpose, but if not, it should be corrected.

In the mean time maybe others that see the same behavior can check if they also have something that sends a wake up signal via HDMI and see if they can disable this to work around this issue.

Nov 11, 2023 8:01 AM in response to Tanquen2

Is this for the Apple TV box?

If you mean the Current user/Time balloon from Control Center in the upper right corner, that will morph from “change user” button to time display automatically after a few seconds, and will be visible only on the Home Screen (not in apps).

If you mean the complete Control Center interface, then that doesn’t happen for me.

Verify that you’re not accidentally using press-and-hold on the TV button on the Siri Remote. A short press of Menu/Back or TV button is enough to wake Apple TV.

If not for the Apple TV box, then on what device is this happening?

Nov 12, 2023 3:57 AM in response to Tanquen2

It's a pop-up showing various settings with a large power button etc.

Yeah, that is the Control Center of Apple TV. It should only show when invoked (long press the TV button).

But now whenever it wakes up it has that menu and then I have to back out of it.

The universal remote may have something to do with that. Try setting it up again.

Use other remotes to control Apple TV - Apple Support

Feb 21, 2024 8:02 AM in response to MajorTom78

No, no way I know of to fix it. It is really annoying and I don't know why they added it. You've just turned it on so I'm going to pop up a menu showing you how to turn it off. It's also interesting that a number of times without sending any other signal with the remote and even using the Apple remote backing out of this menu. I see the normal streaming app screen that it happens to be on for half a second and then it shows the menu again. I do not know why they did this or why they haven't fixed it.

Power menu now displayed whenever Apple TV is used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.