Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Need to copy video from 1 thumb drive to another. Have the video already copied on iMac

2 very old family-valuable VHS commercially copied to 8 gb thumb drive.

Want to copy from the thumb drive to another blank thumb drive. All attempts

failing, get notifcation on iMac that its too big (only 7.5gb) to copy, tried

sharing, tried mail drop, tried copy and paste etc.…I think maybe commercial entity put a

restriction on the thumb drive so we can’t copy to another. I can read

and see it on my desktop but unable to copy to another 8gb thumb drive - even a

32 gb. No joy....Any thoughts, ideas?

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 12:36 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 11, 2023 1:23 PM in response to porkypiglet

Many thumb drives come pre-formatted with FAT32. FAT32 has a limit of 4 GB per file, and some implementations of FAT32 have an limit of 32 GB per volume.

My guess is that perhaps the "family video" thumb drive has individual files larger than 4 GB – and was formatted using exFAT, to be able to hold them. Your thumb drives, being 32 GB or under in size, probably are formatted as FAT32 drives. If you can copy the videos to your Mac's drive, but not to these 8 and 32 GB thumb drives, then I'd say that the chances of FAT32 being the problem are very high indeed.

One way around this might be to reformat the 8 and 32 GB thumb drives as exFAT drives, using Disk Utility.

If they reuse to accept a new format, note that exFAT is the standard filesystem on SDXC cards with a capacity of 64 GB or more. It might also be more common on new 64+ GB thumb drives than on new <= 32 GB ones.

Nov 11, 2023 2:57 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua wrote:

Ah, good use of them, I was afraid you were using them for backups! :(

Don't you know by now that you should use Zip disks (<CLICK> <CLICK> <CLICK>) for backups? Or perhaps encourage your enemies to use Zip disks for backups, so when they go to retrieve their data, you can hear the sound of wailing and gnashing of teeth …

I also remember horror stories about the bad old days of 5.25" and 8" floppy disks – when the disks had soft-sided cases and were really "floppy". Horror stories about secretaries rolling them through IBM Selectrics, in order to neatly type on their labels … or pinning them to the sides of file cabinets with strong magnets.

Unlike the <CLICK> of Death, those were probably jokes and Urban Legends …

Need to copy video from 1 thumb drive to another. Have the video already copied on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.