Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I want to copy a video to my M2 Mac Mini and then burn more copies

Apple A1379 USB External Superdrive DVD/CD Burner Player Model MD564ZM/A

For my parents 50th wedding anniversary gift in 1991, we made a video of mostly photos, as well as some video, with a lot of family history in it. My copy of the video was missing after a move, and I just got a replacement from s family member. I would like to copy it to my M2 Mac Mini and then burn more copies. What do I need to accomplish this? DVD player automatically opened when I inserted the disk but I see nothing in the menu that will copy and burn.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on May 20, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 12:17 AM

Hi Saundra Curry

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: video: "burn more copies. What do I need to accomplish this?"

Apple support have articles online (links below) that may help:

Eg:

Find out if the optical drive on your Mac can burn discs - Apple Support

If so:

Create a burn folder on Mac to hold files to burn to a CD or DVD – Apple Support

How to: Store information on CD and DVD discs on Mac - Apple Support

What to do: If you have trouble burning discs on Mac – Apple Support

Apple USB Superdrive : User Guide:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1646/en_US/usb-superdrive_user-guide_zm.pdf

All the best :-)

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2023 12:17 AM in response to Saundra Curry

Hi Saundra Curry

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: video: "burn more copies. What do I need to accomplish this?"

Apple support have articles online (links below) that may help:

Eg:

Find out if the optical drive on your Mac can burn discs - Apple Support

If so:

Create a burn folder on Mac to hold files to burn to a CD or DVD – Apple Support

How to: Store information on CD and DVD discs on Mac - Apple Support

What to do: If you have trouble burning discs on Mac – Apple Support

Apple USB Superdrive : User Guide:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1646/en_US/usb-superdrive_user-guide_zm.pdf

All the best :-)

May 31, 2023 10:27 PM in response to Saundra Curry

I could be mistaken, but I think you just

1. Insert the home-made DVD-Video disc.
  2. Quit out of DVD Player. It's going to show you the navigation menu on your home-made DVD, not a menu for making more copies.
  3. Run Disk Utility (in the Applications / Utilities folder).
  4. Use Disk Utility to create a disk image file on your Mac, from the contents of the home-made DVD-Video disc.
  5. Use Disk Utility to burn that disk image to as many blank DVD-Video discs as you want.

I remember doing this years ago, after having created a home photo/video disc with iDVD, because it was MUCH faster to burn a copy from a disk image than to wait for iDVD to re-encode all of the photos and videos to create extra copies "from scratch."

May 31, 2023 7:48 AM in response to Johnb-one

Thank you, John. I had Handbrake many years and operating systems ago. Completely forgot about it. I did get an earlier response from BDAqua to try Burn, so I downloaded it and I was able to copy it to my Mac Mini hard drive. I haven't had a chance yet to burn a DVD but will do so soon. It looked pretty easy...

However, I will now have Handbrake in my pocket, just in case!

I want to copy a video to my M2 Mac Mini and then burn more copies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.