Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD to MacBook Air

I have a dvd that I burned from idvd many years ago which has some home videos on it. Is there a way for me to download those videos onto my new macbook air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2021 6:25 PM

Assuming not copyright protected material, you would need to "rip" the DVD disc by copying the movies contained in it and converting them to Mp4 format to import into iMovie.

To do that, you rip a non-copyrighted DVD by inserting it into your optical drive and clicking on it to reveal a folder that contains a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder. Ignore the AUDIO_TS folder. Open the VIDEO_TS folder and you will see a list of files. Copy (copy, not move) to your desktop the files that have a VOB extension. Ignore the rest.

The VOB files contain your movie. Use the free download Handbrake to convert them to H.264, Mp4/AAC files that Handbrake will do by default. Then you can import the converted files into iMovie.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2021 6:25 PM in response to Seattlegirl86

Assuming not copyright protected material, you would need to "rip" the DVD disc by copying the movies contained in it and converting them to Mp4 format to import into iMovie.

To do that, you rip a non-copyrighted DVD by inserting it into your optical drive and clicking on it to reveal a folder that contains a VIDEO_TS folder and an AUDIO_TS folder. Ignore the AUDIO_TS folder. Open the VIDEO_TS folder and you will see a list of files. Copy (copy, not move) to your desktop the files that have a VOB extension. Ignore the rest.

The VOB files contain your movie. Use the free download Handbrake to convert them to H.264, Mp4/AAC files that Handbrake will do by default. Then you can import the converted files into iMovie.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

iDVD to MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.