Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Can't Cancel iCloud subscription

I am trying to cancel the wife's subscription to iCloud. When I get to this final window, where I should be able to cancel

I tap on the lower bar and ... ... nothing happens. I guess it has something to do with the red left pointing arrow but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 3:07 PM

I would have thought that ideally, I could download the iCloud content to her iPhone not an external HD which I do not have. Is that feasible as I would be much more comfortable with that option not to mention not having to fork out for an external HD.

———-

Downloading iClid Drive to an iPhone:

No. That would not be feasible. Because, being they are mobile devices, iPhones are not designed for mutitasking. The download would be extremely slow, and you iPhone may heat up. You would not be able to search through the download, directly. On my User Tip, this is the iCloud Drive data you are downloading —not built in items like contacts and calendars.

But, downloading it to a computer would do just fine. On your computer, go here to download it all: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 3:07 PM in response to ttibsen

I would have thought that ideally, I could download the iCloud content to her iPhone not an external HD which I do not have. Is that feasible as I would be much more comfortable with that option not to mention not having to fork out for an external HD.

———-

Downloading iClid Drive to an iPhone:

No. That would not be feasible. Because, being they are mobile devices, iPhones are not designed for mutitasking. The download would be extremely slow, and you iPhone may heat up. You would not be able to search through the download, directly. On my User Tip, this is the iCloud Drive data you are downloading —not built in items like contacts and calendars.

But, downloading it to a computer would do just fine. On your computer, go here to download it all: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive

Nov 11, 2023 9:20 PM in response to ttibsen

Re: Can't Cancel iCloud subscription

Seems screenshot is suggesting you just change the plan to the free 5Gb iCloud that comes with each device.

(Eg: Tap "Free" to change the plan / Yet there is a "Cancel" link at top right, however.)

Apple support's online article (link below) may have some tips:

Downgrade or cancel your iCloud+ plan - Apple Support

NB: Noticing there is 29GB in sync on iCloud on the current plan.

Article below explains what happens when iCloud is turned off.

You may want to check if you are comfortable with that option:

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac - Apple Support

If needed: iCloud Support Website: (info. / support / contact options etc.) iCloud - Official Apple Support

Nov 11, 2023 9:53 PM in response to ttibsen

ttibsen Said:

"Can't Cancel iCloud subscription: I am trying to cancel the wife's subscription to iCloud. When I get to this final window, where I should be able to cancel: I tap on the lower bar and ... ... nothing happens. I guess it has something to do with the red left pointing arrow but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Properly Downgrading iCloud:

1. Download All of iCloud, First:

Prior to downgrading, download all of iCloud. That way you do not lose any data, once downgrading.. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

then...

2. Downgrade your iCloud Plan:

If you want to get less storage in iCloud, downgrading your iCloud plan is the way to go. Note that this has a monthly fee. Here is the link to user: iCloud+ Plans and Pricing - Apple Support. Note that this service is not available in all countries/regions.

Nov 12, 2023 5:07 PM in response to ttibsen

The 29Gb may be a back-up, yet is likely sync of files that are already on the iPhone.

If you just turn off iCloud, you would likely lose from the iPhone everything in sync.

You can: Check your iCloud storage on any device - Apple Support

If you just turn off sync. to iCloud of each apps items, you would retain those items on the iPhone.

However, please take care if there are photos involved. The original photo files are generally stored in iCloud, while low-res versions are kept on the iPhone. In that case, you may need to download the original photo versions before turning off sync of Photos to iCloud.

If you save the original photo versions back to iPhone there would need to be enough Gb free to store the original photo versions as there can be a sizeable difference. Eg: See how to: Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2023 7:38 AM in response to TheLittles

Thanks very much to you both for your responses. Still have a couple of questions though.

As BRBO said - there's 29GB of content in her iCloud. I really have no idea of what I am talking about so bear with me but looking at

<Properly Downgrading iCloud - download all of iCloud first>

<downgrading your iCloud plan is the way to go. Note that this has a monthly fee>

What? I want to cancel, not downgrade so there shouldn't be ANY fee. I realize that even with a cancellation, I still get 5GB of iCloud space.

Can't Cancel iCloud subscription

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.