You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove MobileSync Backups without the Device on macOS Monterey 12.7.1

On my MacBook Air, macOS Monterey 12.7.1, a friend plugged their iPhone into into the USB to charge it and I didn't realise they'd pressed the Trust button and now over 30% of the storage on my MacBook is taken up by a single huge MobileSync backup.

I don't back up my iPhone to this computer, I use my iMac for that.

My friend has relocated and I cannot use the official Apple method to Manage the Backups by plugging in the device and telling the OS to remove them.

I am happy to go into the ~/Library/Application Support/Mobilesync folder in Terminal and delete its contents. I don't need any backups in there, I'm happy to remove them all and allow macOS to recreate what it needs — I just don't know if that method would corrupt any system databases that catalogue these backup functions.

Or, is there another Apple sanctioned correct way to do this?

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 8:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 9:54 PM

Your plan to directly delete the errant iPhone backup from that folder will not compromise any other data structures on that Mac. Backups are identified and can be managed by the OS when a device is connected, but their removal otherwise does not cause problems. They simply are no longer available to be managed if they are deleted, and the storage space can be reclaimed.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 11, 2023 9:54 PM in response to splurben

Your plan to directly delete the errant iPhone backup from that folder will not compromise any other data structures on that Mac. Backups are identified and can be managed by the OS when a device is connected, but their removal otherwise does not cause problems. They simply are no longer available to be managed if they are deleted, and the storage space can be reclaimed.

Remove MobileSync Backups without the Device on macOS Monterey 12.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.