External HD not showing after upgrading to Ventura in About This Mac

Hello,

I use a WD MyBook as external Time Machine backup. It worked perfect under Catalina.Later it worked perfect under big Sur and Monterey.

Today I upgraded to Ventura and when I press Apple-About this Mac and go to system settings-General-Storage it only shows the internal SSD,not the external HD. (The older macOS all showed internal+external)

I already used disk utility ,restarted etc...

Backing up works perfectly and the external HD also shows in Finder and on the desktop...

What am I missing?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 9:43 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 13, 2023 10:55 AM in response to ClubFilth

Does your TM drive show up on the Desktop?

Is TM still backing up your internal boot drive?

IS the TM drive recognized in the  (hold down Option key) ➙ System Info ➙ Storage (in sidebar)?

Give this a try: Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Nov 17, 2023 8:15 PM in response to Old Toad

I want to add because maybe it’s related.

after 1 week of upgrading Ventura (a lot of work because as a music producer I have a lot of plugins that needed updating (Logic Pro) (and a lot of external gear) I finished the upgrade with checking with Disk Utility.

I get error with exit code 8 :/

(see pic 2)(sorry I don’t know why pic is on its side).

Something to to with the Time Machine snapshots I guess,it gives alot of the same error like error : doc-id tree : record exists for doc-id (number) … but no inode references this doc-id. (See pic1)….I don’t think the SSD is faulty (iMac2020 Intel) as the external drive is from Western Digital and they have an app to completely test the HD overnight (takes a lot of hours) and showed test passed without errors)

So maybe that’s why the HD doesn’t show up in System Settings : Storage? I’m also afraid that my backups could be corrupted.

Thnx for your time :)

Nov 14, 2023 7:03 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi thnx for your answer really appreciate it.

strange thing is : Yes the icon shows on my desktop and when I click on it all timemachine files are there.The external HD also shows in System Info-Storage. It also shows in the sidebar of Finder. It also shows in System Settings-Time Machine. It backs up every hour like normal.

It just doesn’t show up in System Settings-Storage. (Also NO tab ‘show all volumes)….So it only shows the internal SSD but not the external HD (so I can’t see how much space left).

Maybe under Ventura it’s normal it only shows the internal SSD when the external HD is solely used for Time Machine?

Another odd thing is under Ventura if my iMac sleeps the external HD is disconnected.Under Monterey I never had that problem. I found a workaround for this problem under System Settings-Displays (prevent sleep,but is it good for the Mac?)

thnx

Nov 14, 2023 9:57 AM in response to Old Toad

You are right:) I’m using Mac since 2009 (MacPro 8core Snow Leopard) and I used it till 2020 (27 Intel iMac).

I have never ever retrieved a file from timemachine 😆 (Guess I was lucky)

I even had an expensive time capsule…

but as backups are important I just want to make sure all is safe and sound.

I will live with it ;)

thnx

External HD not showing after upgrading to Ventura in About This Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.