Calendar search only finds recent entries, re-indexing Spotlight doesn't help

MacOS 14.1.1 on MBP. After years of normal operation, the Calendar search function will only find the most recent entries. If I duplicate an old prior event, search will find it even though it is old because it was "refreshed".

Signing out of iCloud, deleting all calendar entries, and then signing back in restores normal Calendar search but only for the iCloud events. However most of my calendar entries is not stored in iCloud but local to my computer. Those entries cannot be searched.

In all other apps, Spotlight search works normally, and it will only find recent Calendar entries, not prior entries. Unchecking and re-checking Events and Reminders in Spotlight doesn't help. Re-indexing Spotlight using Spotlight's privacy setting doesn't help.

Searching the same calendar on my iPhone works normally. Searching on my wife's MBP Calendar app, which mirrors all my calendar events, works normally.

I've contacted Apple Support and they are thinking about it. Posting here in case the community has a brilliant solution. Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2024 8:18 AM

I found this from someone else and it worked for me:

go to System settings

click on you name

click on iCloud 

bottom right click on "show more apps..."

Turn off iCloud calendar

verify in your calendar app that all the events are gone

turn back on iCloud calendar

Go to your calendar and watch your events repopulate.

search should now work

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2024 8:18 AM in response to WSE1951

I found this from someone else and it worked for me:

go to System settings

click on you name

click on iCloud 

bottom right click on "show more apps..."

Turn off iCloud calendar

verify in your calendar app that all the events are gone

turn back on iCloud calendar

Go to your calendar and watch your events repopulate.

search should now work

Dec 6, 2023 7:05 PM in response to WSE1951

Same for me. On my new Mac Mini M2 running Ventura 13.6.1, I am unable to use the search function to see past Calendar entries, though future entries show up. I have tried refreshing Spotlight — that didn't fix it. I don't have my Calendar backed up in iCloud, but that was never a problem before. I see a lot of queries in the Apple Community about this Calendar problem, going back a year. I haven't found an actual solution, though.

Dec 6, 2023 9:15 PM in response to Bob Callaway

Maybe the solution to the original poster's problem is to turn off the local calendars in the left sidebar, then turn them on again. As a test, I created a local test calendar, which appeared in the sidebar under "Other," and then added a calendar entry for a day back in 2020. This was immediately searchable in the Calendar app and also showed up in a Spotlight search. Maybe a re-load is all that's needed.

Dec 6, 2023 9:40 PM in response to WSE1951

I was having the same Calendar search under MacOS 14.1.2. I tried suggestions/opinions from many people across the internet and in this community. I then went to System Settings>Siri & Spotlight. Under "Search results" I unchecked "Events & Reminders", then checked it back on again. After that my Calendar search could find all entries past, present, and future.

Dec 7, 2023 4:20 AM in response to WSE1951

I am the original poster, and I eventually found a solution (suggested by Apple Support) which worked for me:

(a) Within Calendar use this command: File/Export/Export to create a backup file of each individual calendar -- I have about a dozen of them, some local, i.e. not imported from Google or anywhere else.

(b) Delete each of the calendars, one at a time

(c) Create a new calendar with the same name and

(d) Use the File/import command and re-load the backup file, repeating b,c,d for each calendar.

Unfortunately one of the things that I tried which did NOT work screwed up my Contacts, and now I have a secondary issue. What did NOT work was logging out of iCloud, deleting all my Contacts and Calendar items, then logging back in. Doing this re-set the search only on those calendar entries in iCloud, but those were only about half of my calendars. It did not help local Calendar search. And trying this wound up creating 2 and sometimes 3 copies of most Contacts, while entirely dropping other Contacts and breaking my computer's ability to synch with my iPhone. Fixing that is my next project. Fortunately I have multiple backups of my Contacts.

Jan 13, 2024 5:46 AM in response to WSE1951

A month has passed since I posted my workaround, and while it worked for a month, two days ago it stopped working. I am back to square one. I tried everything suggested by others in this thread and none of them worked. I cannot think of anything which triggered the repeat loss of search ability of prior events in Calendar, while new events can be searched perfectly.

I am going to have to repeat my Dec 7th workaround, which is tedious, and hope that it "lasts" this time around.

If anyone has another suggestion, I look forward to reading it.

Mar 26, 2024 3:01 PM in response to WSE1951

Reposting this as I saw this in another thread and it worked for me

lambshift

Author

User level:

Level 1

12 points

Search function in Calendar with no results - solved

Hi there,

on my Mac, the problem in Calendar / iCal (macOS Ventura 13.3.1) - where no results are displayed when using the search function in the top right corner of the app - could not be solved by reindexing "Macintosh HD".

However, there is a "Calendars" switch in "Settings -> Apple ID -> Apps using iCloud". If you turn that switch "off" and "on" again, then all Calendar items disappear and reappear within a few minutes: all Calendar items are thereby imported again from iCloud and in turn indexed by Spotlight.

After this simple procedure the Calendar / iCal app again correctly displays all search results !

Apr 16, 2024 8:05 PM in response to WSE1951

Mine is almost a "me, too" situation. Running Sonoma 14.4.1 on my MacBook Pro, I noticed Calendar searches for previous entries weren't working several months ago. But today, I discovered that — unlike most previous posts here — I also cannot search for future events. Searching for an activity for which I know I have both past and future entries, the search function now returns _only_ the one from the current month. None of the previous or future entries are shown. :-( The small piece of good news: Calendar searches on my iPhone still show both past and future entries.

Given the number of entries here and the time over which they've been reported, this almost certainly has to be a Mac system issue — one I sincerely hope will be resolved soon, as the Calendar search function is a very important and useful one. Having it effectively not working, at all, on my Mac is a serious disappointment.

Calendar search only finds recent entries, re-indexing Spotlight doesn't help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.