Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Why does Apple not allow a text group to be assigned a name when not within the intended group have iphones??

I cannot be the only iPhone user who is more than a bit miffed at Apple's intentional policy to not permit text groups to be named if all users do not have have iPhones. In this global economy, not all cell phone users use an Apple product. Intentionally making it difficult for users to use simple features like being able to name a text group is not going to gain Apple any greater marketshare. It is going to alienate otherwise loyal Apple community. Is this absurd policy really worth it? If anyone has a work around, please share.

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 8:26 AM

9 replies

Nov 14, 2023 9:10 AM in response to JZEISS1

JZEISS1 wrote:

I cannot be the only iPhone user who is more than a bit miffed at Apple's intentional policy to not permit text groups to be named if all users do not have have iPhones. In this global economy, not all cell phone users use an Apple product. Intentionally making it difficult for users to use simple features like being able to name a text group is not going to gain Apple any greater marketshare. It is going to alienate otherwise loyal Apple community. Is this absurd policy really worth it? If anyone has a work around, please share.

They provide it for imessage which is Apple feature, MMS is your phone carriers.

You can let Apple know here Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 14, 2023 9:43 AM in response to razmee209

Thank you razmee209! And thank you for the Product Feedback link. I used it to provide feedback to Apple. Yes. It is well known that Apple allows this for imessage but that does not address the question as to why Apple does not provide this simple capability others (Andriod) do. We all have text groups with our families, co-workers, friends etc where not all of them have iPhones. Being able to assign a name to these groups like non-iPhone users can is a pretty basic feature that Apple should be providing.

Nov 14, 2023 9:47 AM in response to JZEISS1

JZEISS1 wrote:

Thank you razmee209! And thank you for the Product Feedback link. I used it to provide feedback to Apple. Yes. It is well known that Apple allows this for imessage but that does not address the question as to why Apple does not provide this simple capability others (Andriod) do. We all have text groups with our families, co-workers, friends etc where not all of them have iPhones. Being able to assign a name to these groups like non-iPhone users can is a pretty basic feature that Apple should be providing.

Nobody in these forums would know why, only Apple does.

I assume it works for Android because they only have group MMS unlike iphones.

Nor is it the end of the world if you can't name a group MMS, I have plenty group MMS.

Nov 14, 2023 10:20 AM in response to razmee209

razmee209! No one said it is the "end of the world". Just a rather obvious intentional policy by a multi billion dollar company that seems a bit petty to me. I also have plenty of group MMS texts. All forced to exist without a group name - which is a totally avoidable PITA that could easily be addressed if Apple would simply permit it to happen.

Nov 15, 2023 7:13 AM in response to razmee209

razmee209 wrote:

IdrisSeabright wrote:

That changed with iOS 17. You can now change the name of a mixed group.
I just saw that right now, IdrisSeabright always showing me the light.
OP JE!SS1 my apologies I've been corrected.

As I rarely engage in group texting, I was unaware of it until someone mentioned it here in the forums. I did have one old mixed group text to test it on.

Glad to pass on the knowledge!

Why does Apple not allow a text group to be assigned a name when not within the intended group have iphones??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.