Failed To Personalise the software update. Please try again

Hi all

I am at my wits end with this MacBook Pro M1.

I am never able to install any update that comes. To get into Sonoma (and because i had issues previously updating) i contacted apple and they basically had me reinstall MacOs then update and then restore from my backup. I am not doing this every time an update comes out)

Is there a way to fix this? I have tried a number things including below

1: Safe mode (which does not work)

2: Re-install MacOs completely (works but is not ideal) then restore all my files from a backup.

3: Contact apple support (again said to do above which i did for Sonoma but again for the new update its doing the same issue again)

4: followed the instructions on the Apple website if you get an error installing macOS.

Any help would be grateful as it's driving me insane.

Macbook Pro M1

Sonoma V14 - trying to upgrade to 14.1.1

16GB Ram

1TB Hard Drive (not even half full)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 4:05 PM

I am going to add another data point to this discussion.

I have encountered exactly the same issue, but on an M2 Max MacBook Pro. Absolutely none of the solutions discussed above (or anywhere else for that matter) have solved the problem.

I was instructed by Apple Support to have an Apple service centre perform a "Revive" procedure, though the tech in the service centre warned me this would likely not work either - and he was correct. The only remaining solution is a main logic board replacement, since likely there is a corruption of the security firmware built into the Apple Silicon M2.

Nice going Apple. First computer I've ever owned requiring a main logic board replacement because its own "security" refused to allow an OS upgrade.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2024 4:05 PM in response to MadMax889

I am going to add another data point to this discussion.

I have encountered exactly the same issue, but on an M2 Max MacBook Pro. Absolutely none of the solutions discussed above (or anywhere else for that matter) have solved the problem.

I was instructed by Apple Support to have an Apple service centre perform a "Revive" procedure, though the tech in the service centre warned me this would likely not work either - and he was correct. The only remaining solution is a main logic board replacement, since likely there is a corruption of the security firmware built into the Apple Silicon M2.

Nice going Apple. First computer I've ever owned requiring a main logic board replacement because its own "security" refused to allow an OS upgrade.

Nov 15, 2023 2:42 AM in response to MadMax889

This is Guess work , but something is your error message looks really Off

" Server not reachable" UserInfo=0×600002cc81 el (not displayed)}, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not personalize boot/firmware bundle.,"

It looks like the " Controller Firmware Version " has been damaged or corrupted

That or the computer is running in Reduced Security Mode

It would cease attempting the update on this machine

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

2 - Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar or call 1 800 MyApple and have them evaluate the computer

Jan 18, 2024 4:45 PM in response to Henry B.

I would do a clean reinstall of macOS to see what happens. This involves erasing the disk or bettery yet by a DFU firmware "Restore"....nothing left to lose.

Did you try to create a new admin macOS user account especially after the DFU firmware "Revive"? The new Apple Silicon Macs have a new concept of "Ownership" which complicates things even more which is why I would recommend a DFU firmware Restore.

Unfortunately this is the type of stuff that happens when everything is controlled by a new specialized chip that can become corrupted. I have seen so many issues with the security enclave chip on the Intel Macs, but have seen some things with the Apple Silicon Macs as well (I support thousands of Macs for my organization).

Jan 18, 2024 5:16 PM in response to HWTech

I have seen enough reports from others who have tried a clean reinstall (and found it doesn't work) to not spend the many hours this would take me. That this technique ultimately doesn't work is not surprising, since the problem is not due to a corruption within the MacOS system software residing on the drive, but a corruption at the most basic firmware level of the CPU.

Yes, I did also try the "create a new MacOS admin account" trick - but that also didn't work.

A frustrating problem. This MacBook still runs perfectly in every other respect. The only reason I am going for the main board replacement is because it still has a few months of warranty left on it, otherwise it would be a cost-prohibitive solution and I would just live with it stuck at MacOS 13.4.1

Jan 19, 2024 9:54 AM in response to HWTech

From my perspective, the maddening thing is that this problem is consequent to a very poorly considered design decision by Apple's software engineers.

Sure I have dealt with simple processor designs that can be bricked by a failed update of their firmware, but for expensive complex computers there are design options that allow for recovery from such a problem. The Mac's designers apparently thought that throwing away the logic board and replacing it was an acceptable solution.

Nov 14, 2023 12:57 PM in response to MadMax889

MadMax889 wrote:

Hi all

I am at my wits end with this MacBook Pro M1.
I am never able to install any update that comes. To get into Sonoma (and because i had issues previously updating) i contacted apple and they basically had me reinstall MacOs then update and then restore from my backup. I am not doing this every time an update comes out)

Is there a way to fix this? I have tried a number things including below

1: Safe mode (which does not work)
2: Re-install MacOs completely (works but is not ideal) then restore all my files from a backup.
3: Contact apple support (again said to do above which i did for Sonoma but again for the new update its doing the same issue again)
4: followed the instructions on the Apple website if you get an error installing macOS.

Any help would be grateful as it's driving me insane.

Macbook Pro M1
Sonoma V14 - trying to upgrade to 14.1.1
16GB Ram
1TB Hard Drive (not even half full)

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/8904d891-0517-4a57-9f22-231b8bc4327e

reference—

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

alternatively you can try from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

this will bypass the secure token/owner check from the Software Update pref pane:

-i Install

-a All appropriate updates

-R Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation)

Nov 14, 2023 1:19 PM in response to MadMax889

As your screenshot says, the update, or a part of an update(s) could not be downloaded. An error occurred while downloading, meaning your internet connection got cut off. As leroydouglas mentioned above, try in the Terminal. If that too shows an error, then try using someone else's internet connection. Otherwise, call your internet provider to check your connection.

Jan 18, 2024 6:37 PM in response to Henry B.

I was only suggesting the clean reinstall as a last ditch effort (DFU firmware Restore preferred) before paying for a repair. It is possible between resetting the security enclave and reinstalling macOS that it may correct the issue. I have encountered a lot of odd quirkiness with the security enclave chip while supporting my organization's Macs. I think the data stored within them just becomes corrupt so a reinstall is necessary for some things since a DFU firmware "Revive" has not resolved many of the problems. For example, sometimes only one of the users is recognized when authenticating to the security enclave chip, other times no users are listed, but instead mysterious UUID's of the various users requiring a game of trying everyone for the password.

I think I only ever encountered one laptop with a Personalization issue, but I don't recall any details.

With a computer under warranty which may be ending soon, then having it repaired seems like the best option, but I'm always concerned about the refurbished board...I've never liked getting refurbished Logic Boards.

Failed To Personalise the software update. Please try again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.