Samsung T7 SSD takes a lot of time to load on Finder

Everytime I connect my T7 to my M1 Macbook Pro (2020, MacOS Sonoma), it takes forever for it to be recognized and be usable. The SSD's light seems to indicate everything is fine but I don’t get the external disk icon in Finder nor in the desktop. I've tried using Disk Utility to explore more on the issue, but even Disk Utility takes a lot to load when the SSD is connected (I'm guessing it takes time to read all the files on the external SSD). When it finally manages to load transfer speeds seem to be ok, according to what is reported by the manufacturer.

Is anyone else facing the same issue when connecting their T7?

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2024 4:42 PM

I erased all the big file folders (over 300 GB) and then fix the disk using Disk Utility. After that it started working just fine. My guess is that a broken or corrupted file was within the large file batch I deleted (it was an image dataset used for training a neural network). I have my SSD formatted in FAT32 because I use my SSD for both Windows and MacOS, however, I've read that APFS is the way to go if you're just using it on MacOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2024 4:42 PM in response to DanBoldStrategy

I erased all the big file folders (over 300 GB) and then fix the disk using Disk Utility. After that it started working just fine. My guess is that a broken or corrupted file was within the large file batch I deleted (it was an image dataset used for training a neural network). I have my SSD formatted in FAT32 because I use my SSD for both Windows and MacOS, however, I've read that APFS is the way to go if you're just using it on MacOS.

May 27, 2024 12:31 AM in response to dhnam

Thank you for the answer.

I will try wiping it - I am using it for game development & premiere, editing directing on it + a few hundred GBs worth of photos both in CR2 & JPG format. maybe they are the issue.

If anyone comes here through SEO for their T7 load time, just plug it in and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. even one hour. you will not lose your things. Also yes, the samsung wizard is deprecated, therefore broken.

This issue was present after installing Baldur's Gate 3 on it, maybe its a coincidence.

Samsung T7 SSD takes a lot of time to load on Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.