Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Pages saving PDF with thumbnails even when unchecked.

Is this something new...... I just made a Pages document, 3 pages long. I did not have thumbnails checked, nor could I see them when I made the document.

I want that Pages file to be a PDF. This work is for a client. So I go to file, print, and in that print box, I select save as PDF.

However, when I open that PDF it has thumbnails showing. When I go to view, they are clearly selected on the PDF preview, and I can't uncheck them.

The client does NOT want this PDF to have thumbnails.

So I tested this by making another Pages document with 3 pages of text only. I saved that. Then I saved it as a PDF, and that, too shows the thumbnails in the document. Again they were NOT showing in the Pages file (they were unchecked).

So why does it seem like all of a sudden, Pages is saving to PDFs only with thumbnails? I did this the other day with a different document and it didn't show thumbnails. What changed?

Again, when I open the PDF in Preview, it shows thumbnails, and I can not turn them off.

How do I get rid of the thumbnails??

A couple of images that show the pages file with no thumbnails. And then one that shows the PDF in Preview with thumbnails that I can't uncheck.

Help would be greatly appreciated. I need this file with NO thumbnails.

Susan

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 8:07 AM

Apple's Preview remembers that the previous PDF had thumb nails enabled, and will open subsequent PDFs with thumbnails present until you disable that menu item (View : Hide Sidebar) in Preview and save the currently open PDF. It has nothing to do with any Pages settings or export.

3 replies

Pages saving PDF with thumbnails even when unchecked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.