Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my iPhone beep and say “scanning your device”

I was in an app, NYT games, and my iPhone beeped twice. When I went to the notifications page to see why it said “scanning your device”. Anyone know what’s going on?

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 8:01 PM

The same thing happened to me tonight. I was reading an article when I got 2 beeps and "scanning" message. How do we find out what this is? It doesn't feel safe to use my iPhone until I get more information.

28 replies

Feb 11, 2024 10:15 AM in response to heinet

heinet wrote:

I just had this happen to me and landed here. I thought it was an amber alert or something, but no notification. Then when I swiped down I saw a media player display that said “device being scanned” just as described here by others.

Yeah, it’s an advertisement. Not malware. No scanning, either.

If a scammer could scan, they’d skip the pretend-to-scan step, and just steal everything directly!

Follow the steps above for notifications.

If you don’t have the notifications linked above, post up that and we’ll look into your advertisement further.

The audio controls are because the advertisement is offering an audio file.

Why did my iPhone beep and say “scanning your device”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.