Monterey 12.0.1 Audio crackles, hisses & pops

Let me begin by saying I use this setup mainly for audio production. I recently migrated from a dual CPU 5.1 Mac Pro to a 2013-19 6.1, Mac Pro eight core 3.0 GHz with 32 GB of ram. My audio interface is plugged in via USB the same as it was in the old Mac, now ALL my audio, both in and out is plagued with massive crackling, hissing and popping. I see by other posts, this has been an issue with other OS’s too and has yet to be fixed ?? I had zero noise or latency issues running high track counts (120+) with Avid ProTools, Waveform or PreSonus Studio One on the 5.1. I can’t even play an MP3 or Apple Music streamed song without the distortions on the 6.1. Any help is deeply appreciated as I said, I use this for audio production, and I am at a standstill !!

Mac Pro, macOS 12.7

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 5:00 PM

FIXED.

I realized I had to extend the cable and I used a cheap one I had on my keyboard. I removed it and BOOM, all the crackling, hissing and pops are gone.

leaving this here in case someone experiences the same issue and did the dame dumb thing I did.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 18, 2024 1:09 PM in response to Captgeetch

Hi Captain. Could you please clarify this?

You had a wired apple keyboard and you used a cheap, off-brand cable to extend the reach of the keyboard?

You used a better cable, or you used Bluetooth instead, etc? You removed it, but you did not say that you replaced the old cable.

I have had some minor audio crackling lately after installing a new USB hub and am wondering if that could somehow be a problem.

But I am relatively sure that the problem coincides with updating from Big Sur to Ventura.

Thanks, Capt!

K

2017 iMac 4K

Macos Ventura 13.6.6

Apr 27, 2024 12:14 PM in response to WelshmanX

I didn’t replace the cable. I removed it and relocated the can. I have had issues with cheaper USB hubs not reading, but only with miniature types. I use one now without any issues. It’s an 8 port 3.0 with individual on/off buttons. But You might wanna check your buffer settings first. Any changes in your sound settings can cause issues.

Monterey 12.0.1 Audio crackles, hisses & pops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.