Can't boot into Ventura volume

I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro. It has two internal volumes, one with the current version of Sonoma and the other with the current version of Ventura. I can suddenly no longer boot into the Ventura volume. It was working a few days ago. Ventura is set as the boot drive. When I start to boot it, the goes through the process, the white bar gets to the end and stalls but the system never opens. I went into Sonoma and ran Disk Utility First Aid on the volume and its two components. It said it was OK. I can even boot into Monterey on an external drive, though start up does seem unusually slow.

Does anyone have any suggestion how how I can get the Ventura volume going again?

Thanks very much.

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 12:25 AM

Try this: Backup. Download the latest Ventura installer, make a bootable USB flash drive from it, option-boot to it, install Ventura on top of the old Ventura volume.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 21, 2023 10:34 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Set Ventura as the boot drive and try booting into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac. If successful reboot normally.

If unsuccessful with Ventura still set as the boot volume boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down  - Intel Macs) or  (How to Boot an M1 Mac into Recovery Mode) and reinstall the system.

Nov 21, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Old Toad

I haven't tried it from a stick. I did try from an external Monterey volume. I tried to download the Ventura installer from the App Store. The download seemed to complete, 11.94 GB out of 11.94 GB, but the bar hadn't closed, never closed, and the installer wasn't there.

It is a volume in the same container. Having separate containers doesn't seem right, and defeats the purpose of volumes. I've been doing this for a while on a number of systems, having two separate boot volumes.This is the first time I've come across a problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

Can't boot into Ventura volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.