Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Music not working after ios17 update

I updated my ipad to ios17 two nights ago. Tried to play from a playlist yesterday, one played then it stopped, nothing would work.

I restarted the ipad, same thing happened.

I did a reset as advised, no change.

I did something else that I'm not allowed to mention, apparently (got a message saying my post had been "edited" but it was actually removed, thanks for nothing guys), also didn't work

Restarted again

Played one song from the playlist, then wouldn't play

Tried again this morning, won't play.

iPad, 14

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 4:00 AM

iPad 6th gen user here, and this completely replicates my experience. The Music app is pretty much nonfunctional. Restarting the device is useless and the update made it worse. I also have a iPhone SE 2020, and that has zero issues. Not happy at all.

65 replies

Dec 5, 2023 12:25 PM in response to 58Smash

This isn't just for paid streaming, this is for music I have downloaded to my iPad. Songs I have either bought on the iTunes store in the past or ones I've had in my library for years. I run an automation of quiet songs around bed time to help me fall asleep that has worked also for years, now it plays two songs and stops. Need a fix soon, I like sleep.

Dec 6, 2023 3:33 AM in response to 58Smash

I do not stream music, I purchase music and have since I’ve owned a mac. This latest update (17.1.2) has rendered the music app totally useless on my ipad. I cannot play any music for any of my music, which is a first world problem for sure, but I am so disappointed and annoyed. Most of my playlists are now blank; sometimes I can get one song to play if my library appears, but that’s it. The screen freezes, is unresponsive, and unworkable. I have restarted the app and my ipad to no avail. I really hate that I cannot access my music, especially during the holidays as I cook and clean or try to sleep. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP PLEEEEASE.

Dec 5, 2023 11:24 PM in response to 58Smash

My music app is a mess too. Even after the 17.1.2 update. The albums come and go at random. When they do play, then i can’t shut them off. Boot the app off the screen and it keeps playing anyways! My music is all bought music. I believe they will fix it. Hopefully sooner than later. A test of patience for me, in our high tec world ……for sure.

Dec 6, 2023 10:37 PM in response to MichaelJohnDavison

I re-opened my case number last week after the 17.1.2 update did not fix this universal iTunes problem. To date, I have not heard back from them, nothing. I know that millions anre probably affected by this but Apple have made no general statement about this, or when it will be resolved, that’s worrying. I don’t pretend to know about IT maintenance, but it’s their business to know.. Communication from Apple would allay some worries and give users some sort of timeline.

Dec 5, 2023 7:50 PM in response to 58Smash

Same here. 6th gen iPad Music app is broken. Also tried the other apps which works with Apple Music library and they also don’t work. Tried everything including wiping out my iPad and starting over to 3rd party repair from my pc to no avail. Had to revive an old iPhone 6 to use as an iPod with old fashion wired earphone outlet to listen to music. Last time I update an older apple product older than 3 years. The iPad was working great on ios16.

Dec 6, 2023 4:26 AM in response to 58Smash

Same here. Updated to 17.1.2 in hopes of improvement...no dice.

App becomes randomly unresponsive moments after restart, stops streaming after one song...that kind of thing. 2020 iPad, and one of its main uses is PLAYING MUSIC AND SOUND to help my children sleep.

Shockingly bad bug destroying one of the core features of the device.

Music not working after ios17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.