Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Touch one key, get two adjacent characters

Macbook Pro A1398 will do that on the 7+8, u+i, j+k, m+, and left arrow+double quote.

Pics show it better than I can describe it. A bluetooth or USB external keyboard is unaffected. Only the Macbook Pro Retina keyboard.

I'm thinking it has a bridged line or two in the cable or connector. Any way of knowing which lines might control the 7,8,u,i,j,k,m,,left arrow and quote key?

Thanks in advance!

-Whackntoss

Posted on Nov 21, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 10:29 AM

WhacknToss wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't apply in this case unfortunately. My problem seems to be hardware, not software.

I first noticed it while trying out Catalina. I tried a different hard drive and os to see if anything changed. Nope, same issue same bad keys i.e.: 7,8 u,i j,k m, etc.

I am booting this MBP Retina with the hard drive from my older Macbook Pro A1260 core two duo with os 10.11.6 el Capitan. That version's Preferences Pane does not show these keyboard accessibility options yet the keyboard still behaves exactly the same. External kbd's still work correctly.

My current best guess answer is to remove the bottom cover to seek out the keyboard connectors to look for bridged conductors.

It would be great to have a schematic roadmap of the keyboard matrix and cable wiring i.d

Your "Macbook Pro A1398" is one of the most un-definitive ways to identify your Mac as you can see

*see below Obsolete...

What I can say tyypically a straight line of keys,  or keys associated on a diagonal, or isolated keys indicates a hardware issue.

The keyboard is a complex of 5 layers of mylar® and associated traces. Circuit traces are subject to failure over long term use-yes.

Keyboards are not repaired they are replaced— and this typically mean a top case replacement.

plug in an external keyboard maybe a work around in the interim...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

*Vintage and Obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2023 10:29 AM in response to WhacknToss

WhacknToss wrote:

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't apply in this case unfortunately. My problem seems to be hardware, not software.

I first noticed it while trying out Catalina. I tried a different hard drive and os to see if anything changed. Nope, same issue same bad keys i.e.: 7,8 u,i j,k m, etc.

I am booting this MBP Retina with the hard drive from my older Macbook Pro A1260 core two duo with os 10.11.6 el Capitan. That version's Preferences Pane does not show these keyboard accessibility options yet the keyboard still behaves exactly the same. External kbd's still work correctly.

My current best guess answer is to remove the bottom cover to seek out the keyboard connectors to look for bridged conductors.

It would be great to have a schematic roadmap of the keyboard matrix and cable wiring i.d

Your "Macbook Pro A1398" is one of the most un-definitive ways to identify your Mac as you can see

*see below Obsolete...

What I can say tyypically a straight line of keys,  or keys associated on a diagonal, or isolated keys indicates a hardware issue.

The keyboard is a complex of 5 layers of mylar® and associated traces. Circuit traces are subject to failure over long term use-yes.

Keyboards are not repaired they are replaced— and this typically mean a top case replacement.

plug in an external keyboard maybe a work around in the interim...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support   Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

*Vintage and Obsolete:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

Nov 21, 2023 4:56 PM in response to WhacknToss

WhacknToss wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/d08296f7-6c1a-47eb-9052-48d6de9b0694
Macbook Pro A1398 will do that on the 7+8, u+i, j+k, m+, and left arrow+double quote.

Pics show it better than I can describe it. A bluetooth or USB external keyboard is unaffected. Only the Macbook Pro Retina keyboard.

I'm thinking it has a bridged line or two in the cable or connector. Any way of knowing which lines might control the 7,8,u,i,j,k,m,,left arrow and quote key?
Thanks in advance!
-Whackntoss

>System Preferences/Settings > Accessibility > General and Mouse and Trackpad and make sure it is turned off

ref: Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac

Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac - Apple Support

also—

verify Full Keyboard Access did not get turned on

>System Settings>Accessibility >Keyboard>Full Keyboard Access>OFF

ref:Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

Nov 22, 2023 10:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

It would be great to have a schematic roadmap of the keyboard matrix and cable wiring i.d.

Thanks! and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

-Ed

Nov 22, 2023 2:01 PM in response to leroydouglas

This MBP was an ebay purchase. the keyboard glitch was unknown/undisclosed. I negotiated a large refund to keep it as-is. I'm out only $45 or so, it's not worth a big investment. Maybe if it's just $100 or so.

I kept it for the mental exercise and odd chance or fixing it for nothing or cheap. Otherwise. it works fine with a USB external keyboard as I'm doing now.

Leroy, you have provided a lot of options to investigate and gave generally excellent advice. Thank you so much for that!

My years of electronic troubleshooting many unknown devices says there's a chance the keyboard matrix itself is fine and the problem is in the cable and connectors.

We may never know. Best I can do is remove the cover to have a close inspection.

Thanks again!

-whack

Nov 22, 2023 2:07 PM in response to WhacknToss

WhacknToss wrote:

My years of electronic troubleshooting many unknown devices says there's a chance the keyboard matrix itself is fine and the problem is in the cable and connectors.

We may never know. Best I can do is remove the cover to have a close inspection.

The keyboard is typically the first causality of any amount of liquid damage....

Apr 21, 2024 3:45 PM in response to leroydouglas

Update, months later... I gave up back in November of last year, shortly after my replies above.

Opened it up and located the keyboard connection inside. Contact cleaner, careful hands-on cleaning of the socket and inter-conncting ribbon-wire cables Actually had it working one time except for one non-working key. Trying to nail this last holdout, I lost all I'd gained and never again got it "almost" fixed as close as that.

Along the way, I did fix an old Mac USB keyboard by running the whole thing under hot tap water. After a quick drip-dry, it spent the day and through the night on top of our Ashley wood stove. The wood-burner's steel outer shroud kept the temps low enough to dry it weel, but not melt or toast it, LOL.

In the morning, the Apple keyboard was fully functional and I'm using it now on that Macbook Pro. I admit surprise at the outcome, but happy that I didn't have to trash/replace the Macbook Pro.

-Whack

Touch one key, get two adjacent characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.