Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Migrating iTunes>Music & Relocating media with split library on multiple volumes

Scenario:

upgrading old Mac from one running iTunes (Mojave) to new one running "Music" (on current MacOS), with iTunes media files spread across multiple volumes (with split library).

I have built 100s of playlists over the years and prioritize retaining them over the migration.

That is…

Current (iTunes, Mojave):

iTunes libarary:

/Volumes/Volume0/Users/lryter/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl

Media files:

(spread over 4 volumes, plus some in iTunes Media folder, see below)

/Volumes/VolumeA/path, Volumes/VolumeB/path, Volumes/VolumeC/path, Volumes/VolumeD/path

iTunes setting:

"Keep iTunes Media folder organized" - OFF / UNCHECKED (manual organization)

iTunes Media Folder Loation:

/Volumes/Volume0/username/Music/iTunes Media

(very few -- but some mostly purchased -- actual music files are kept in that Media Folder, under:

/Volumes/Volume0/username/Music/iTunes Media/Music

New (Music, MacOS Sonoma)

• wish, if possible, to retain manual organization of media files (ie, not use "consolidate library")

• wish to have _all_ media files on a single external volume (rather than spread across multiple as before)

that is:

/Volumes/VolumeX/path

• Music library files can return to boot volume but don't need to.

What do I do here? Is there any route other than "consolidate library" to point each of 4 or 5 partial paths to new locations?

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 3:38 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 6, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Loren Ryter

I'm pretty sure location can be updated, although a script I use at the moment doesn't do it because I'm moving things around on the same volume and it already knows the new location without me doing anything. I can certainly do it in Windows, and Doug's Scripts has a tool for moving files that presumably updates location when it needs to.

Copying data from one place to another with AppleScript is certainly on the cards.

• If I recall that option works with a selection of files. Nothing selected=disabled option. File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files does the whole library in one hit, losing any data you might currently have encoded in the path. Probably best not to do that right now.
  • Yes, if you tick the box and click OK everything will start being copied in that is outside of the media folder. If you tick Rearrange Files everything that is inside the media folder, but not in <Media Folder>/Music, gets moved down inside it.
  • I normally suggest that having Copy files... enabled is good practice so that everything you add to the library ends up in the media folder, and if you back that up you will always have all of your content. Internal layout of the media folder is up to you. You don't have to enable Keep organized... but consolidated media always goes into the standard layout, so you have to fix things after import, or place them exactly where you want inside the media folder if the structure matters to you. It is better to have all useful information encoded in tags, even if you still want some manual control.

Just to cover all the bases, enabling Keep organised... will immediately rearrange anything inside the media folder to the default artist and album folders, with or without an additional /Music folder that depends on a preference file in the media folder. See the section on iTunes Media Organization in Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for details on that. Enabling Copy files... only affects future additions to the library when adding content from a location outside of the media folder.

tt2

Dec 3, 2023 3:45 PM in response to Loren Ryter

There is no simple way to do what you want. There should be a way to do it in AppleScript where you move selected files to the new path that you want them to have, and then update the location property in iTunes/Music. I do have a script that renames files the way that I want them, but it doesn't as yet have the ability to move them from one folder to another, although this is something I've managed in Windows.

tt2

Apr 26, 2024 10:05 AM in response to Loren Ryter

Loren Ryter wrote:

So I'm trying something now: I moved the target folder to /<VolumeName>/Audio/Media/ on a Shared Folder on my Synology NAS. Pointed iTunes media folder there.

Again, this really isn't the right way to do it. When iTunes/Music is in charge of copying the files to the new location it also updates the references to the files so they continue to work. Repairing manually relocated files after the fact is much more likely to fail, particularly if they aren't where iTunes/Music would otherwise put them.

Second question, maybe easier:

Is there really any advntage to having the Music library file itself located on the same volume and at the same level as the /Music/Media/ ? I would think it would be faster for that to exist on my boot volume SSD in the standard location?

Having the library files in the default location with respect to the media folder (i.e. in the parent of the media folder) helps when moving the library as a unit from one computer or drive to another, but yes absent of that use case having the library files on a local drive will be better than having them on an external drive (marginal) or remote network drive. My usual advice would be to have all on an external drive, backed up to NAS for security.

tt2

Dec 2, 2023 11:05 AM in response to Loren Ryter

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. In principle if all of the volume names remain unchanged it may be possible to copy over the current .itl file and convert it to the Music format. If you're going to consolidate to a new volume ahead of time I would recommend using a target folder of /<VolumeName>/Music/Media as the new media folder, then you can place the converted library package in /<VolumeName>/Music when you're done and subsequent moves should be straightforward.

tt2

Apr 30, 2024 1:11 PM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

Loren Ryter wrote:

So I'm trying something now: I moved the target folder to /<VolumeName>/Audio/Media/ on a Shared Folder on my Synology NAS. Pointed iTunes media folder there.

Again, this really isn't the right way to do it. When iTunes/Music is in charge of copying the files to the new location it also updates the references to the files so they continue to work. Repairing manually relocated files after the fact is much more likely to fail, particularly if they aren't where iTunes/Music would otherwise put them.

Is there really any advntage to having the Music library file itself located on the same volume and at the same level as the /Music/Media/ ? I would think it would be faster for that to exist on my boot volume SSD in the standard location?

Having the library files in the default location with respect to the media folder (i.e. in the parent of the media folder) helps when moving the library as a unit from one computer or drive to another, but yes absent of that use case having the library files on a local drive will be better than having them on an external drive (marginal) or remote network drive. My usual advice would be to have all on an external drive, backed up to NAS for security.

tt2

I know it's not the "right" way, but the right ways are not what I want. I want to maintain my folder structure, which is organized by genre. Furthermore, I'm afraid of orphaning associated files, like album art, liner notes, reviews, etc. which I keep in album folders. As for failing… well it's working, slowwly. At the rate it's going (dedicated running on my now retired MacPro), it will be a month if I'm lucky, two if I'm not. There is a chance I'll have to surrender and do it the "right" way anyway. But see this discussion about gripes. And this one.

My usual advice would be to have all on an external drive, backed up to NAS for security.

Not an option for me. Idea with NAS is to keep this folder structure possibly forever.

While I have you on the line (and thank you so much for your expertise and your time), wanted to ask about your very informative user tip.

The redundant "Album Artwork" folder -- why redundant? Where stored by Music? This iTunes folder is about 2GB.

Legacy "Mobile Applications". Not supported? Why not? No local storage anymore I presume?

Dec 6, 2023 8:01 AM in response to turingtest2

I don't think the you can update the location property with AppleScript. I think it is read-only. Do you have reason to think otherwise?

What I think I can do is get the genre information out of the file path and add it to the comments. That would still break my file structure but at least I'd have that info.

Questions:

My iTunes advanced settings include "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" off and "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library" also off.

• "Consolidate Files" is greyed out in the File>Library>Consolidate Files menu. Why? Maybe because of that first setting?
  • If I enabled that "Organized" setting, will it start moving my files around immediately?
  • If I successfully consolidate the library, do I need to have both those settings on? Or can I keep the second one off?

Thank You!!

Dec 3, 2023 2:17 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2. I've seen some of your other posts on the subject and found them most helpful.

What I really want to do is neither of the above, though. Not "consolidate library" which would destroy my meticulously organized file structure (where for example, both artists and compilations are organized under genres), and still switch to keeping all media on one large volume. My goal would be more akin to path substitution, where:

/Volumes/VolumeA/path (with volume A,B,C,D,E) are subtituted with:

/Volumes/VolumeX/FolderA/path (again with A,B,C,D,E; VolumeX is the new large volume, likely a NAS)

That is: the previous volume names would become folder names.

Please confirm that there's simply no way to achieve this. Or if there might be, what magic I could perform. :)

Apr 26, 2024 7:32 AM in response to turingtest2

So I'm trying something now: I moved the target folder to /<VolumeName>/Audio/Media/ on a Shared Folder on my Synology NAS. Pointed iTunes media folder there. Subfolders are all the top-level music folders on my old hard drives (8!). I disconnected the old hard drives and tried to play a random file (all missing), and let iTunes "locate" missing files. It's now 16+ hours into beach-balling. I'm hoping it will come up with something eventually. Any way to know how long this might take? Days? Weeks? This is 2TB of MP3s.

Apr 30, 2024 8:38 PM in response to Loren Ryter

Music stores the artwork cache at ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.AMPArtworkAgent/Data/Documents. When converting .itl to .musiclibrary the old iTunes Album Artwork folder is ignored. Artwork embedded in files should be added to the library, with everything else, where possible, fetched from the iTunes Store.

Support for the direct downloading and transfer of apps to or from devices, along with iBooks and tones, was dropped back in iTunes 12.7. Any legacy .ipa files you might have in the Mobile Applications folder are going to be seven years out of date. They probably aren't compatible with your device any longer. Finder might technically support drag & drop to transfer apps, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

tt2

Migrating iTunes>Music & Relocating media with split library on multiple volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.